Assignment 2.3 – Memorandum: Progress on Formal Report

MEMO

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, ENGL 301 instructor
From: Brionne McWilliams, ENGL 301 student B.M.
Date: March 13, 2019
Subject: ENGL 301 Progress Report on My Formal Report: Feasibility of a Professional Psychology Career

Thank you for approving my research proposal on March 11. As requested in lesson 2:3, I wrote a progress report for my formal report on determining the feasibility of a professional psychology career. This document contains details regarding: the intended audience, purpose of the report, the significance of the report, the research plan, and the writing schedule.

Intended Audience:

1. Dr. Steven Barnes, Associate Head of Undergraduate Psychology Affairs
a. As an academic advisor for psychology undergraduates, Dr. Barnes can give students career advice based on the details in the final report.
2. Psychology Undergraduate Students
a. Students can reference the report to determine if a career in professional psychology is right for them. Students can also use the report to prepare for the career if they aspire to be a professional psychologist.

Purpose of Report:

• To define professional psychology
• Explain the requirements of a professional psychology career
• Outline the pros and cons of the career
• Delineate the steps to enter the field

Significance of Report:

• To help me choose my own career.
• To help other psychology students with their career choices.

Research Plan:

Work Completed:
• Conducted a literature review of secondary sources including recent articles published by the Canadian Psychology Association, American Psychology Association, and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
• Composed a draft of survey questions for psychology students who are preparing to enter the field or who are almost finished their undergraduate degrees to be approved.
• Composed a draft of interview questions for Dr. Barnes and Dr. Odic to be approved.

Work Remaining:
• Upon instructor approval, administer survey on UBC Psychology Facebook Page and interview both Dr. Odic and Dr. Barnes.
• Begin the reasoning process:
1.Considering the strength or both supporting and opposing reasons.
2.Weigh the pros and cons, and recommend a course of action.

Writing Schedule:

March 13: Complete a draft of the Introduction and Methods
March 14: Complete a draft of the Body and a list of Conclusions and Recommendations
March 15: Complete and Post Formal Report Draft on Team Form with a Word Doc file
April 1-9: Self-edit Formal Report to include suggestions from peer review
April 10: Complete and Post Formal Report on Team Forum as a pdf file

The project is on schedule. As soon as I receive your approval of these specifications, I will administer the surveys and interviews and complete the first draft of my formal report. Thank you for your time and consideration. Should you require any clarification or have any feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me at Brionne.mcwilliams12@alumni.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Brionne McWilliams

Enclosure:Formal Report Outline

Enclosure: Survey and Interview Draft