Letter of Application

6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3

September 17, 2019

ENG 301 Technical Writing Class
Department of English Language and Literatures
The University of British Columbia
397 – 1873 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3

Dear ENGL 301 Classmates,

I am writing to you with great interest to be a part of your professional writing team for this semester. I am currently working as an Intermediate Human Resources Business Analyst. My role is to bring the end users with their Human Resources needs together with business processes and functionalities available through our Human Resources Management System. I work closely with end users to identify underlying issues and provide assistance to resolve those problems. I am a team player, and I believe my abilities to solicit requirements, analyze problems and communicate clearly in plain terms will be a great asset to the team.

Having effective communication skills is essential in any workplace. I prefer to communicate through email. However, when further clarification is required or when a discussion is needed, I would pick up the phone or arrange a face-to-face meeting. In terms of writing skills, my strengths are in communicating with readers using simple vocabulary and presenting ideas in a coherent style. My primary challenge lies in proofreading my own writing, especially for formal documentation. To overcome my writing challenges, I would leave the document aside for a few hours and come back to edit and revise the document with a clear mind.

I not only interact but also learn through various modes of communication. My learning philosophy is based on beliefs of learner-driven learning, applicable knowledge, and adaptive learning environments. I find myself more engaged in learning when I am curious or interested in the topic being taught. I find myself retain knowledge better when I can apply what I learned in class in the real world. Depending on the subject, sometimes I find it is easier to learn by looking at the image or process flow, and sometimes I find it easier to understand the material by looking at a relevant clip on YouTube.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please feel free to contact me at joyce.wu@ubc.ca if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Joyce Wu

Enclosure: 301 Joyce Wu Application Letter