Lesson 2:1; Assignment 2:3 — Similarities concerning “home”

Of the three blogs I read I found that all three writers believed that home is not necessarily a place, but a state of mind, a place to feel comfortable, or based more on people than places.

This was interesting, because I picked these blogs at random by scrolling down the class Facebook page, and yet all three echoed my own sentiments. We four all somewhat scorn — or disregard — the concept of “home” that we’re force-fed through books or TV/movies. That notion of “home” doesn’t survive divorce, tension between nationalities, warring identities, or the unconventional home/drifting childhood. But I don’t think that’s a bad thing, and neither, I think, did the three writers of the blogs — because what we get in return for the disillusion of “home” is something that actually works, filled with some unhappiness, some introspection, but also growth, happiness, and just an effusion of MORE — more family, more history, more ranges of religion, or cultural practices, more experiences, more opportunities, which in turn make US into more than we would be originally. Adaptable, stronger, smarter, independent people — as well as knowing the true value of a family that you choose.

Interestingly enough, this concept of home not being a place, but being wherever you’re comfortable, or a home that you make for yourself, reminds me of Chamberlin’s point that the concept of European “settlers” and Indigenous “nomads” is backwards (29-30). Following the tradition of immigrants in Canada, one would assume that I (I hesitate to include the three ladies in this, as I am not 100% sure of their nationalities and don’t wish to offend) would feel at home in Canada, because it is, to over-ring that bell, my “home and native land.” But it’s not, not really, and I don’t feel at home in it just because I grew up here — I feel at home, as I mentioned in my blog, wherever my dogs feel comfortable (and by extension, my family).

This concept of aimlessness — or disconnect from the land, and focus on the people — is I think a really important concept to explore. Why do we feel disconnected? Is it because we’re immigrants, no matter how far back? Do Indigenous peoples feel a connection to this land deeper and better than I do? I really do wonder.

WORKS CITED

Chamberlin, Edward J. If this is your land, where are your stories? : Finding common ground. Toronto: Vintage Canada, 2004. Print.