What: As part of the CTLT Institute, I planned and co-faciliated a workshop linking learning principles with online learning technologies. This approach provided a learning framework for participants and then used cooperative learning activities to provide the participants with the opportunity to discuss how learning principles directly relate to their teaching context. We used a flipped approach for this session and provided participants with a online course module to orient themselves to the online environment and a video lecture about How Learning Works, the  learning principles used in the session.

So What: By using a flipped classroom approach we were able to engage the participants with content both about the learning principles and help them become more familiar with the LMS. This left space in the face-to-face workshop for discussion and case-study analysis. By focussing on learning principles, participants were able to move beyond ‘click’ technology sessions and consider using learning technology in their teaching and learning practice.

Now What: There were important considerations that I continue to use in my planning and facilitation practice:

• Consider ways that participants can interact with session content and materials before and after the session. This helps to focus the face-to-face classroom on active and cooperative learning approaches
  • Link learning frameworks, principles, strategies and approaches with learning technology.

Now What