Module 1 – Post 2: Sean Atleo, Chancellor of VIU

In 2008, Chief Sean Atleo from the Ahousaht First Nation was named Chancellor of Vancouver Island University (VIU). This is interesting to me as I completed my undergrad degrees at VIU and Ahousaht is not too far from where I grew up on Vancouver Island. Initially, my interest in this topic lies in personal connections.

As I begin to discover more about Chief Atleo’s position as Chancellor I learn that he is the first university chancellor of First Nation’s heritage in the province of British Colombia. Although it doesn’t particularly surprise me, it seems to be fairly consistent throughout history that positions of power are largely held by Caucasian men, it made me begin to think about Indigenous people and positions of power. I have long noticed the lack of women in leadership roles, but haven’t thought much about Indigenous people in leadership roles.

As I search further I discover that just this weekend The Globe and Mail reported that an Aboriginal chancellor has been appointed at the University of Saskatchewan.  That it is news for an aboriginal person to be made a university chancellor makes me think that perhaps this is a bit of a rarity.  Most of the articles I have found are of Chief Atleo and Blaine Favel from the University of Saskatchewan.

I continue to wonder about diversity of those in leadership roles. What are the consequences when the majority of leadership roles are held by people of similar backgrounds, gender, socioeconomic status. What might change when leaders are a diverse group of individuals? What message is sent to young people when the majority of leaders are Caucasian men?