Module 1 -Post 3: The Raven and its Holy Connotations

I mentioned earlier in the introduction part that I have two boys ( 5 and 3). They have a special interest in the aboriginal literature (pictures , icons and their specific animal pictures). I usually take them to our local library. After taking some books we usually have a look at the DVD section. One of the DVDs they chose was Raven Stories series. I remember that was a year ago. I watched it with tem and I really was thankful to them for choosing it. They opened my eyes to something I was not aware of before. Now we borrow this DVD series almost every week.  Everybody is hooked to it.

If we look at the content of the series we realize that most of the ideas discussed are based on fables or animal-based ideas. The treatment of depicting the main ideas of the series is a special one because its target audience is children. This makes it hard to make as there are very complex values that need special treatment in order to cater for the young watchers. After I watched some of the series I felt the themes depicted in these series reflect a treasure of heavy ideas that can help in understanding the how First Nations people perceive life around them.

Here is the main link to the series:

http://www.raventales.com/

It is available in libraries in Canada. Some of the series are available online ( youtube)

Hussain