Statement Connecting Weblog to Research Interests

For my project, I am interested in the factors behind the dropout rates of Indigenous learners. Lately more Indigenous students have better education opportunities, but I still find articles about high dropout rates of Indigenous students in North America. Some marginalized students may be facing geographical problems or infrastructure difficulties, or there may exist other reasons. In terms of education, Indigenous peoples’ situation may be improved by the Internet—it has made it possible for them to access material and join the class discussion no matter where they live.

Since schools at every level will have more Indigenous students in the future, it is crucial for both educators and learners to understand the factors that encourage students to remain in the course or cause them decide to leave. I would like to propose a research project analyzing the reasons Indigenous learners drop out—my research findings will help educators obtain a clearer picture on how school education should be conducted in order to retain students over the long term and how technology can be used to further that goal.

I haven’t narrowed down my research questions yet. The broad topic about dropout rates for Indigenous students may already been studied by other researchers so I want to develop a distinct approach for my study. I need a little more time to think about it.

References:

Balla, J. (2012). Identity and Knowledge in Indigenous Young Children’s Experiences in Canada. Childhood Education, 88 (5), 286-291.

Biddle, N. & Cameron, T. (2012). Potential Factors Influencing Indigenous Education Participation and Achievement. National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER).

Jones, B. A. (1992). Collaboration: The Case for Indigenous Community-Based Organization Support of Dropout Prevention Programming and Implementation. The Journal of Negro education, 61 (4), 496-508.

Kutay, C., Mooney, J., Riley, L. & Howard-Wagner, D. (2012). Experiencing Indigenous Knowledge Online as a Community Narrative. Australian Journal of Indigenous Education, 41 (1), 47-59.

Mangana, J. & Trendleb, B. (2010). Cancellation of indigenous Australians from the apprenticeship training contract. Education Economics, 18 (4), 377-394.