Module #2-3: Films and Documentaries

Recently I have seen a few documentaries about Indigenous peoples both on TV and in the theater. One is called Kind Hearted Woman, about a native woman in North Dakota who struggles with poverty, career, drug and alcohol abuse, and her own identity. It was very powerful and I had so many questions such as “what prevents her from leaving the community?” or “why is it so hard for her to overcome her problems?” because of my ignorance about Indigenous peoples and, probably, my stereotypes about them. Then I watched Nanook of the North last week and now I curiously started searching for more Indigenous films.

First Nations Films was created in 1998 and distributes award-winning educational documentary films for, by and about Indigenous peoples in Canada. Many movies are listed in their catalogue with trailers. Movies feature various topics, such as native women, suicide in the community, Indigenous peoples’ historical relationship with the Provincial and Canadian governments in settling the land question in Canada, etc. National Film Board of Canada features many Indigenous documentaries and animations on its website as well. The best feature of this website is that we can watch many full-length feature films about Aboriginal Peoples.

Coincidentally, imagineNATIVE, Toronto’s 14th annual showcase of the latest work by indigenous filmmakers and artists, will be held October 16th through 20th. Every fall imagineNATIVE presents a selection of distinctive Indigenous works from around the world in conjunction with a variety of cultural & social events. Because we are apt to have incorrect impressions or stereotypes about Indigenous peoples, it is helpful for us to see films and documentaries on them to dispel stereotypical notions about them. Through diverse media presentations we can arrive at a greater understanding of Indigenous peoples and cultures.