Module 3:1 – Foxfire

Interested in taking a look at the broader topic of place-based education (beyond the indigenous context) and in learning more about place-based education generally, I came across Foxfire, a U.S. non-profit educational organization that promotes place-based learning in the Appalachian region of northeast Georgia.  Foxfire encompasses a student magazine, a museum, and a teaching approach (“The Foxfire Approach to Teaching and Learning”). I would call the magazine, founded by high school students in 1966, an example of  “salvage ethnography” – its goal is to document the disappearing heritage of Appalachian elders and pioneer culture, and in this way (among others) is very different from a place-based Indigenous education that is part of a living culture. The magazine has been extremely successful, and is still published today. Out of this first initiative came a teacher training program that promotes the use of local resources (people, community, culture) in education. The teaching philosophy’s “10 Core Practices” espouse student-centred and active methods centred around local and student-initiated concerns, hands on approaches, reflection, and relevance beyond the classroom. The idea of relevance to an external community is an important one, I think, whether or not that community is strictly local.