Module 4: Post 3 – Teaching Students About Residential Schools

My focus thus far has been in educating myself about Canadian residential schools as well as Australia’s policy of assimilation of Aboriginal peoples. I am now interested in learning more about current curricula available to teach students about residential schools and government policies of assimilation.

The Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) has created a comprehensive Residential Schools Curriculum for grades 9 – 12. They have an impressive website that is rich in information, resources and lesson plans. What I particularly like about this curriculum is that residential schools are examined in many countries across the world: USA, Australia, China/Mongolia and New Zealand.  Lesson plans cover topics such as: traditional knowledge systems, residential/boarding schools around the world, survivors’ stories, Prime Minister of Canada’s apology, healing, intergenerational impacts and so on.  This website/curriculum is an excellent resource for any secondary teachers wishing to teach students about residential schools.

Previously, I have discussed the website Where are the Children on this blog. It bears mentioning again with a more specific focus on its resources and teachers guide. Each resource is written for a specific age group, grades 9/10, grades 11/12 and lifelong learners, and contains age appropriate information divided into similar chapters (Government policy, implementation, outcomes, impacts, revitalization). The accompanying Teachers Guide identifies learning objectives and alludes to unit and lesson plans but does not provide information on where those lesson and unit plans are. Although frustrating to not be able to access the unit/lesson plans, the textbooks provided on the website as well as the website itself are a valuable teaching resource for secondary teachers.

Although there is not an extensive amount of curricula/resources available currently, it appears that what is available will enable teachers to effectively teach students about residential schools. It is also promising that there seems to be a push to develop more curricula/resources about residential schools.