A3 Venture Pitch: Video Game Learning Space

Hello everyone! This is my venture pitch about a dream of mine to create a learning space with video games. Game-based learning has been an important part of my life and it has been something I wanted to share. I don’t know when I plan on making this a reality. I don’t think I am ready for the next step yet, which is highlighted in the challenges.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jliang/164889748?ref=a3mgh6&token=0a7e0adf

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

15 responses to “A3 Venture Pitch: Video Game Learning Space”

1. John Wu

Hi Jackson, fantastic pitch! It’s great how you have a consistent and solid vision for your game based learning space, definitely interested to see if schools will be willing to adopt this idea in the future. I was just wondering if costs could be reduced by either (i) combining the computers required into existing ones/eg: use the ones in the IT Lab to play (ii) have a smaller amount of dedicated gaming PCs and adopt a turn taking approach for students. Unless the game is say, a LAN game which requires everyone to participate at the same time, technically they can play in different time slots. Maybe perhaps students could even use their own equipment providing the game isn’t too demanding or easily accessible via smartphones.

1. Aaron Chan

Last sentence of John’s review sparked an interesting idea (bring your own device). I think this can also address the behavioural/cultural change management issues that might arise. As gaming (particularly non-educational games) may carry some social stigma, perhaps the first step is to develop a culture or community of gamers in the school. It’s been a minute since I set foot in a public school in BC (assuming this is for secondary education), but I don’t remember anyone playing video games during lunch/recess (before smartphone days). I’m sure times have changed though. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are official/unofficial gaming leagues amongst secondary schools. My feedback is that the case for gaming in public schools is not compelling enough – once that case is the made (in gradual phases), the graphics cards and RAM will come. Separately, in terms of design, maybe you could draw from something like an internet cafe (can even get a student club to maintain the cafe and sell cup noodles lol).

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Aaron. There has been a shift. Many secondary students enjoy socializing or playing on their phones during lunch/recess. There are also hosted e-sports clubs at specific schools. I have never visited an internet cafe before so that is something I will check; interested to see how it may look in an educational context!

2. John Wu

That’s a good point Aaron, same as you it’s been a while since the K-12 days. From memory, the only form of gaming culture back then was either trading Pokemon through Game Boys, playing Javascript/Flash games on PCs, Monster Hunter co-op on PSP or trading card games in general. I would imagine the landscape to be quite different now with free online games, smartphones and other forms of connected media. As for internet cafes, that’s an interesting proposal since it aligns with Jackson’s pitch and the overall design of school computer labs in general (though I don’t think the culture of internet cafes really caught on in North America) I think as long as there are staff/faculty members who are willing to champion the idea of GBL, chances are it could pick up on a formal level.

2. JacksonLiang

Thanks for the comments John. You offer a sensible idea to combine computers into existing ones. I think that could possibly work; there would just have to be permissions to upgrade, turn off the firewalls and other internal/external fixes to make it come to life. Having students use their own equipment is something I considered. I would have to consider that some games I have planned in my curriculum may only be via PC, laptop and that it would be paid. If students were to use their own advice, they would be able to download the software but the school may be required to buy another copy of the game next year for another student.

2. Nathan Bishop

FEEDBACK
    I love this idea! I am a big fan of game-based learning and think you are definitely working toward something that would positively impact students. I like the idea of building this as a center where schools can book sessions, but do you think you could get to the point where you could build out a room like this within each school? I think that would be a great accomplishment. Of course, there would have to be a lot of funding for this. John mentioned a few ways to save on the budget above, but I am sure there are more. I suppose the cost is likely the largest hurdle. I suppose you still have some teachers who do not see the value in game-based learning and thus would not want to get involved. However, I think if there was a space within the school where they could see students actually learning in this manner, it may convince them. All the more reason to have a space like this within each school.

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Nathan,
      I honestly don’t feel game-based learning is accepted to the point where it could be within each school. I think the biggest way to circumvent cost is by building it in a central location around Vancouver schools and having teachers book the place as a workshop or advanced digital workspace. However, when that day comes, I sure hope I’m still around! Thanks for pitching in.

1. Nathan Bishop

You are probably right! I do hope that your center can be built and will eventually bring game-based learning into the fold enough so that it can actually be in every school. That would at least be a nice long-term goal for your venture!

3. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

Jackson, I love this idea, if only because game-based learning IS here, despite some educators’ resistance to recognizing it. Really, game-based learning has always been here but for some reason we think it’s different now that there’s a computer involved… Your story is credible, heartfelt, and resonated with me. I was impressed by the amount of background data collection you had done, which adds a degree of confidence as an investor. Your market is well established, although I would suggest some more concrete findings on ‘disengaged’ students within the Vancouver school board – otherwise your ‘problem’ is just a blanket statement. Your solution is nicely established with your own data, but it could be further legitimized with similar “success stories” that touch on your ‘objectives’ (like individualized instruction), like the Hole in the Wall project? (see here: https://www.edutopia.org/blog/self-organized-learning-sugata-mitra) As for your “ask”, I don’t think it is excessive money – but perhaps that’s because I don’t work in K-12 education! – but there are certainly costs missing if you do need to do renovation to accommodate this space. I think you could improve this area by establishing potentially similar spaces you could use, for example, does this need to be a permanent space or can it “pop-up”? Could you rent out conference centres or existing schoolrooms and set this up, instead of building new? Some final thoughts on investment: I think you could get a partnership involved with a major furniture vendor for this type of project, considering that many are just starting to branch into GBL. I came across this article the other day that’s quite relevant, Steelcase is a major provider of educational furniture in North America and could help with this and subsequent expansions (link: https://www.steelcase.com/research/articles/topics/education/just-game-designing-esports/?utm_term=esports&utm_campaign=edu&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=209050619&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9YuSKTIA7GydP50EcNCqQSDlqy4_ThCdGQGg980UG3lLkKflAe7eC9J8ocvZG7Jh7E0_8H0Nb0ay-2Sp0P3GvMwpprBg&utm_content=360-biweekly-apr-5&utm_source=hubspot). I’d invest in this project, with some of these final funding tweaks ironed out.

1. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

Just to note that the above is a REVIEW!

4. JacksonLiang

Hi Ally. Thanks for the detailed comments. I recognize getting survey results would be helpful. Perhaps something I can do is gauge disengagement through one more additional question in the surveys I give to my students. The hole in the wall project is an awesome example now that you mention it. Thanks for sharing. I was originally intending this to be a permanent space, but if I were using laptops, I could see this as a possible pop-up space to bring to schools. I always had trouble coming up with what the room would look like or how to much it convenient for teachers. Perhaps your idea of making it pop-up will make up for that. Thanks for sharing Steelcase. I will definitely look into that. I know that the VSB uses DELL products and may be resistant to partnerships and other providers. That may be an argument or persuasive discussion to make for another time. Hopefully that door will open soon.

5. robyn godard

FEEDBACK: Hey Jackson! Love this idea, I think what a great opportunity for students to have access and opportunity to participate in game-based learning in the public school system. I also really like that you did it on kickstarter. I think from a venture/investor perspective/gaining buy-in from the school board I would like to know a little more about return on the investment. Once the equipment starts to degrade, will you need more investment? Is there a way to add a social-enterprise aspect to this idea? Maybe you could also rent out the space for kids birthday parties, or rent out the lab during weekends/summer to adult groups in order to make this space sustainable over the long term!

1. JacksonLiang

Hi Robyn,
      I love the idea about renting it out. I wonder if school facilities ever rent out when it’s not in use? That does sound like a work around that can help when equipment starts to degrade. That way, the school can supply enough for refunds or upgrades over time.

6. Terri-Lynn McLeod

FEEDBACK: Hi Jackson. Thanks for completing your venture pitch in Kickstarter, I enjoyed seeing what that looks like. I really like your idea of providing a space where students would experience game-based learning. Is this to be a non-profit venture, with investors making a contribution to the education of students, rather than investing in the hopes of large returns? Robyn suggested renting the facility out to make some profit, but have you considered other ways of sustaining this venture long-term?

1. JacksonLiang

Thanks for adding Terri. I planned this kickstarter as something non-profit if this was for the public sector; however, if this was for large returns, I would pivot to something private. Robyn’s suggestion can be made for money but not necessarily for profit. To sustain this venture long-term, maybe that money can be reinvested into the lab for extended warranties, replacement parts and routine maintenance? Similar to a school cafeteria where they aren’t focused on profit but enough to be sustainable, I think a computer lab can do something similar.