A1: Consumption vs Creation a Mobile Cultural Shift?

Originally posted by Lori Jones on October 13, 2019

Hi all,

This is a Touchcast. It works best on a mobile device capable of touch. If you are curious about Touchcasts I know there is post here about them.

Touchcast Here

I can’t wait for your feedback!

Lori

One response to “A1: Consumption vs Creation a Mobile Cultural Shift?”

1. Ceci Z.

This post appeals to me for both its content and the medium of presentation. I want to say that education is about creation, not consumption. According to constructivism, a major theoretical trend in education, knowledge cannot be transferred from teacher to student through communication. Von Glasersfeld (2008) states, “… it appears that knowledge is not a transferable commodity and communication not a conveyance” (p. 48). Therefore, instead of treating students as consumers of knowledge, we should encourage them to become creators of knowledge. It is important for teachers to engage students in making sense of their own experience and seeking meaning with their own effort. Only through a personalized process of construction will the true development of the mind occur.

Mobile technology has creation built in! It invites people to collaborate, to participate, and to create. “Curated content and the remix culture can very well be the stepping stone to creation”. Well said, Lori.

Von Glasersfeld, E. (2008). Learning as a constructive activity. AntiMatters, 2(3), 33-49. Retrieved from: http://anti-matters.org/articles/73/public/73-66-1-PB.pdf