Meaningful Assessment Through Mobile Games

Originally posted By Victoria Ramsey on January 27, 2019

As part of your examination of our OER (found here) on Mobile Gaming this week, consider the subject of assessment here.

How can learning be assessed through gaming? Please share any examples from your own experiences.

Or, consider the Case Studies presented in our resource and describe how you would ensure meaningful learning is occurring through the use of the games presented.

Average: 4/5 Stars

18 responses to “Meaningful Assessment Through Mobile Games”

1. Ram

This is a very good OER, some parts excellent. The case study on Minecraft is excellent as well as the “What’s Trending” section. The one flaw with Game-Based Learning (GBL) is that you have to ensure your game is engaging enough for many years or generations of users. Emulating the success of trendy games like Fortnite and Pokemon Go could lead to low engagement in the future if something more popular comes along. For this reason, gamification may have the edge over game-based learning.

Minecraft and Pokemon Go are successful to this day because they offer game play that no other game can offer. This is arguably the reason for their high engagement. Minecraft is a game that can be a platform for learning whereas Pokemon Go is a game where you can take some of its design philosophy and incorporate it into educational AR games which definitely has a space within secondary education. Many secondary and post secondary courses require abstract visualization of processes. For example, at higher mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology the problems and processes presented to students become exceedingly difficult to visualize and understand. Incorporating AR in the classroom easily alleviates this common problem in the classroom. The same can be said for courses like English and Social Studies making the course more interactive and engaging.

A platform like Minecraft creates an even playing field for project based learning. A major weakness of project based learning (traditional project assignments) is that some students do not have the same resources at home than others. Minecraft offers the same blocks as everyone else so everyone can build spectacular models. Game-Based Learning based around games like Minecraft offers a lot of potential within primary school as games solve a lot of potential problems some teachers face with their lesson plans and the design of some of their projects.

2. Ram

By Rebecca on February 2, 2019

In my world of adult English Language Learning (ELL), I teach grammar, reading/listening skills and academic writing. In writing, students prove proficiency by producing an organized, well-written essay. There is a set of criteria in a rubric that I use to assess skills level in writing. It’s as far from game based learning as it gets from the learning to production to assessment. In my mind, valid assessment through gaming depends entirely on the game itself and what is required of the learner to experience the game from beginning to end. The learning that happens within the game to allow players to move through its various levels or tasks on the way to either mastery of a skill or savvy as a player experienced in the contexts of a game like Bury Me, My Love can be assessed by virtue of the game design.

Traditional assessment sees a set of quantifiable outcomes being met by students. They are given grade X because they have acquired demonstrable skill by doing project Y. We teach them the concepts, and then these are applied as a means of showing competency. In a well-designed game, the game itself measures the competency. However, its hard to let go of the “if you’ve learned it, prove it” mentality of traditional assessment practices. I believe game based learning challenges that notion.

3. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Rebecca, several great points you’ve made. I agree with you that the world of adult ELL doesn’t easily integrate gaming in its curriculum, though it is possible with much work and creativity – but time is something we never have enough of as teachers! I also see the evolution of educational practice and instruction as very enthusiastically embracing new forms of assessment that are moving away from the “if you’ve learned it, prove it” mentality, and gaming reflects this shift, as you’ve mentioned. But beyond gaming, other teaching methods also focus on student-centred learning, embracing collaboration and inquiry – concepts that can’t necessarily be assessed through those traditional assessment methods.

4. Ram

By Sarah Wong on February 2, 2019

I feel that quite a few of the comments that assessment heavily depends on the outcomes that we want to achieve in our teaching and the skills we are looking to help our students master. Gaming is a great tool to keep our students engaged as it so heavily influences culture and society itself. Depending on the subject of teaching we can use gaming as a teaching tool in different ways. In classes such as English, we can use a critique of a game as an assessment of writing, in classes such as stem, we can use gaming to assess mastery of programming and in classes such as econ, we can use simulations to assess a student’s ability to manage economic scenarios.

5. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Sarah, your example of using gaming in writing class is refreshing! I haven’t thought of that. I appreciate the idea of critiquing a game rather than playing a game itself as a form of learning and assessment.

6. Ram

By matthew turner on February 1, 2019

I see a trend in a lot of the comments here (please correct if I’m wrong), which is that assessment should happen outside of the game itself; that the students should produce something outside of the game environment to demonstrate learning. I think this is essential as it practices transferrence of skills/knowledge to other contexts and allows the learner to make bridges between the online and offline worlds.

7. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Matthew, assessment outside of the game itself, especially in the form of reflections, do happen quite often. And transfer of knowledge is certainly the goal of all learning. However, I actually see assessment happening within gaming quite often. Games with multiple difficulties/levels often have assessment built directly into them, because students must master skills in one level before they naturally move onto the next; games dependent on correct answers also assess on the fly.

8. Ram

By Kim Ducharme on February 1, 2019

* Meaningful assessment depends on the learning goals, as many have mentioned. Consider taking some cues from project-based or maker-centered learning embedded assessment techniques to measure process, understanding, and results/product. Based on the learning goals, formative assessment could measure process (habits of mind), and understanding; summative assessment could measure understanding and the final “product,” if there is one. Like group projects that require collaboration, if the game requires it, a meaningful assessment might include the number of times a student offered help, answered a question, or participated in a discussion. Gameplay could be recapped or critiqued (like gamers do on YouTube), and assessment types might include presentations, portfolios, thought processes, evidence of resiliency, group work-ability, and by meeting specific requirements. If possible, build learning analytics, tied to learning goals, into the system. In the “Bury me, my Love” refugee game (*wow*), assessment might include the number of connections the student can make to similar situations they are aware of, the extent to which they have gone through the story, and a written or spoken thoughtful reflection at the end, or even along the way, with screenshots of what was happening.

9. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Kim, I think that your mention of project-based learning is very important, and not something that we have discussed yet in this forum or even in our OER, unless of course open-ended games are viewed as “projects,” in that creation of some sorts happens. In my view, PBL is different though, and I wonder if there is a way to integrate gaming into this field. Current educational trends certainly focus on the integration of technology, and games in general, but there is also a huge focus on PBL, inquiry, and student-centred learning. All of these concepts have much in common, in that they are flexible, creative, require collaboration and social interaction, and employ higher-order thinking skills. In what ways can we combine gaming elements or gamification with some of these other learning mechanisms? Is there a way, or do gaming functions lend themselves more to instructional practices on the part of the teacher?

10. Ram

By christopher clarke on February 1, 2019

There are a number of educational games currently available, such as Prodigy, that allow teachers to set up a virtual classroom. If students register in this classroom before they start playing, the program can collect statistics on any number of different aspects of a student’s play. For example, in the case of Prodigy, teachers are able to look at how frequently a student plays, what level they are at, what types of questions they are answering and how well they are doing at each type of question. This can provide the teacher with both formative and summative assessment information depending on when and how the teacher uses the information. The programs can often be adjusted on a case by case basis to focus on topics currently being reviewed in class or areas that specific students are struggling in. The back end analytics can be extremely helpful to teachers with a bit of set up at the front. The only unfortunate aspect is accessing these more in depth components of these programs often requires additional costs.

11. Ram

By allison burnett on February 3, 2019

I am not myself very familiar with game-based learning – as a parent, I admit I am skeptical to how much ‘learning’ is done while playing! At the same time, I see my boys playing Prodigy and I can’t help but think “it can’t be that bad of a thing, if my kids want to play a math-game at home and on the weekends!”. I do agree with you Chris in that games such as Prodigy can provide rich assessment data for teachers (and students), which can help teachers guide the students to focus on the areas where they need the most practice. In addition to Prodigy, my sons have used two other interactive math sites – IXL and EPYG and I did appreciate the data that was produced from their games as it allowed me to readily identify the topics they were struggling in. Games can also allows for increased differentiation in the class, as students get to guide their own learning journey on these applications – some may breeze through the game/activity, while others struggle and need more time.

12. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Chris, I haven’t heard of Prodigy before, but that sounds like an incredibly effective tool for assessment! I imagine it would also be highly engaging for many learners, and don’t doubt that this is the way that education is moving, with more and more integrated use of technology on all front – instruction, assessment, student learning and collaboration. I especially like the idea that it can be adjusted to aid struggling learners.

13. Ram

By christopher wong on January 31, 2019

I think that the assessment will relate to the type of the game played. I would agree with Sally that for some of the open ended game-based learning simulations (e.g. Sim City, Civilization, Kerbal Space Program, Zoo Tycoon) a reflection assessment similar to what she stated would be most useful. There are probably so many things to learn by playing these games (co-operation with others, learning to hunt down information and resources online, developing strategies, creativity etc) that having the learner identify and reflect on their learning could be the most relevant assessment.
    For gamification of learning, the game and learning objectives are more straightforward. The use of websites like kahoot, socrative, or quizziz to create quizzes to check understanding in a playful game – but scores, leaderboards, badges earned can all be formative assessments to guide teaching and gauge student understanding.

14. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Chris, I certainly agree with you. Gamification and games that test content understanding versus open-ended GBL are often attached to more formative assessment practices. I also wonder if there is are certain age groups that are best matched with one type of game over the other. We often use websites like Mathletics and Kahoot for younger grades, but can open-ended games that require higher-order thinking skills such as critical thinking, as well as skills like collaboration and social interaction be just as effective for the younger ones?

15. Ram

By Sally on January 31, 2019

There are many ways to embed assessments through gaming, really depends on the learning outcomes. It can be the students’ achievement in the game, or alternative ways of demonstrating what they’ve learned from engaging with the game. An example I know is from a third year management strategy course made use of a business simulation game. Students work in groups for the game and they are required to keep weekly reflections with these guiding questions: “actions taken”, “what have I learned”, “what will I try differently next”. All reflections are posted to a forum and are peer-reviewed, I think each student has to review 3 reflections. Everything was open to the class, so they can read all reflections and reviews, if they want. The lecturer randomly selects some weekly to review. Students get feedback from peers, learn to give feedback and they indicated they like reading the lecturer’s feedback to someone else, as they learn without being the one being critiqued. The assessments are based on how well the team performed as a team, how their business performs in the game, plus their final overall personal reflection. This is one example of course. ????

16. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on February 3, 2019

Hi Sally, that is a great example. More and more we are seeing self-reflection and assessment through collaboration take the forefront. Games really do lend themselves to these formats I think. Moreover, real life will require these skills of you more than anything else – the ability to self-reflect in tough situations, and deal with people.

17. Ram

By Brogan Pratt on January 30, 2019

I have the unique pleasure of being an elementary technology teacher, where my main focus is on teaching kids technology all day. Amazing. With this, has come the ability to gamify my lessons, as well as content areas. Some areas are definitely easier to gamify than others, and in saying that, some areas may not be worth the effort (for the amount of time it takes) to gamify; it ends up being unrealistic for the lack of time we all have in our days. That being said, some resources that I have found helpful for gamifying your classroom (In no particular order): Makey Makey Lesson Plans: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0162/8612/files/lesson-plans.pdf?16481577170705338427 Spero Lesson Plans: https://edu.sphero.com/cwists/category As for the assessment part, I’ve used one of two methods. 1. Are students able to complete the game, and what skills does this mean they are capable of doing? This is more of a completion, summative approach. 2. Mastery approach in having students create the games themselves, things like Scratch or code.org allow for this type of freedom. Students can have a low entry point, but a high ceiling with showing what they are able to do with the game/app.

18. Ram

By Victoria Ramsey on January 31, 2019

Thanks for sharing those resources! I can very much relate to the struggle about whether or not it is worth the effort, though my experience is from a different perspective. Sometimes, when technology is involved, the skills we end up assessing are related to utilizing the technology itself, and other skills are not necessarily assessed in the same lessons. Maybe this is because I teach primary grades, so when we introduce new technologies, the learning curve is quite high. What ends up happening is that we focus on students demonstrating the use of technology itself, rather than on the other skills the technology is meant to make easier. I appreciate the way you frame your assessment approach: “What skills does this mean they are capable of doing?” rather than ticking off boxes of preconceived skills.