A3- Core Competency Tracker

Original post by inhee kim on November 23, 2019

I work as a Resource Teacher in BC and find that it is difficult to assess Core Competencies. The Core Competencies are part of BC’s curriculum, but each school year is very chaotic and need a way to manage the paper work. I wanted to imagine and create the Core Competency Tracker – the Core Competency Tracker app can be accessed wherever by teachers, students and parents that brings success in learning.

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

2 responses to “A3- Core Competency Tracker”

1. lindsay morton

Thanks for sharing! I totally agree that the core competencies can create a lot of paper work, stress and overall challenging to manage throughout K-12. Currently at my school we are left to our own devices on how we want to assess the core competencies which often ends in a self reflection with students at the end of each term. It is an OK way to assess but I find the core competencies can be left behind in my planning without the frequent and going assessment (formative) throughout the entire term. I like the app you have thought of that not only makes the assessment easier, its more engaging and would increase the likelihood that students are covering more concepts of the curriculum within each given school year.

It would be cool to extend the functions of the app to include problem solving games, maybe role playing or short videos or clips with strategies for social and emotional health. This could also inform practice and assessment if students were given a choice as to what skills they wanted to work on – you could keep up to date with what they were choosing on the applications and what they need help with.

Lastly I think the page flowed well on my mobile phone, I think maybe a few more images or design could of jazzed it up as a website.

Great idea!

2. jungwhan cho

Many of the comments indicate that this app is a great idea. I, too, have thought about creating a tracking program that can be easily accessible to students, teachers and parents.