A1 — MEDIUM

I’ve been using medium.com for a while now — both as a reader and a writer.

For A1, I thought it would be fun to assess the platform in terms of what value it might hold as a mobile and learning tool.

Please feel free to visit https://medium.com/@lyontsang/medium-on-medium-9e9980a9b05a?source=friends_link&sk=282de7fd427ae800f34bf6bc241c5325 and let me know what you think!

And yes — I wrote about Medium… on Medium…

6 responses to “A1 — MEDIUM”

1. Ceci Z.

Amazing platform! Thanks for sharing, Lyon. I’ll definitely give it a try 🙂

2. Jonathan

I had no idea this site existed, and from the URL I would have assumed it had something to do with getting a psychic reading.
    This seems like it could be very engaging and easy to get sucked into. Writing in the app using voice to text would also be a great way to get ideas down without being tied to a small keyboard on the screen. I like that timely topics seem to filter to the top of the feed.

3. Pei

Hi Lyon,

Thanks for the virtual tour and I didn’t realize Medium has so many different functions! The highlight feature is very useful as I often encounter the trouble of having to scroll back to read the whole article again just to relocate that one important point I read a few minutes ago. In some ways, it feels like reading a book you borrow from the library with the highlight feature and it is interesting (sometimes) to see whether other people agree with you by highlighting the same thing.

I’m curious to hear your experience in writing on the app and do you find it to be any different than using a laptop/desktop? The reason I’m asking is because an article (Hefliln et al., 2017) I read recently talked about the writing students produced by using mobile devices showed lower critical thinking, compared to work done on laptops or pen. Other factors, such as the duration of time spent on the task could also contribute to the discrepancy, but this is still something worth further investigation.

H. Heflin, J. Shewmaker and J. Nguyen, Impact of mobile technology on student attitudes, engagement, and learning, Computers and Education, 107, 2017, pp. 91–99.

1. Anne Emberline

That’s a really interesting bit of research, Pei. I wonder if people may show lower critical thinking on a mobile device because the awkwardness of writing on a phone or touch screen takes up just enough of your mental faculties that you end up spending less effort on thinking.

2. Jamie Ashton

This highlight feature also exists on Kindle, by the way, which I found to be an interesting parallel where you can see the most highlighted sections of your book 😀

4. Anne Emberline

Oh wow, I had no idea Medium was actually such a usable and interactive platform where different authors can post and readers can highlight text. I’ve often found Medium articles from Google searches but have never actually delved into the site. Super cool! Thanks for sharing this.