A1 – Mobile Game-Based Learning

For this A1 project I wanted to dive in deeper to mobile game-based learning (GBL). It caught my attention in the Frontiers Poll at the beginning of the course. I enjoy using GBL learning in my class, as the students enjoy learning with it. I often use games as a supplement to teaching, as stations, for early finishers, or for homework. Students always show enthusiasm when playing games to learn. Engagement can be hard through discussion and other activities; games allow us to reach all those learners. Games are often built so you have to be successful with the first outcome before you move onto the next level or challenge. This develops skills in students such as perseverance, determination, focus, and strategy. GBL is used to transfer skills from the game to use in daily life. As classrooms have changed to being equipped with technology at our fingertips, GBL is a fascinating tool use in enhance those lessons that are content heavy.

Additionally, for this project I wanted to explore creating a video on Powtoon. I had a lot of fun creating the video, but ran into a bit of an obstacles. The free trial can only be a maximum of 3 minutes, so I had to work creatively to fit all the content in. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGJGtaY6LI

2 responses to “A1 – Mobile Game-Based Learning”

1. Meipsy Shackleford

Hi Kylie,
    I am also interested in the ways we can use games to support student learning and engagement. There are many ways GBL can be used effectively in the classroom and the problem usually arises around which tools are appropriate for use. I always find that I have to play around with the game first. It usually then takes some patience on behalf of myself and my students until we find our way through all the different ins and outs of the game and learn how to use it more efficiently.
    Thanks for sharing your powtoon – it in itself was also informative and engaging.

1. kylie neiser

Hi Meipsy!

Yes I too agree that the educator using the game has to play it first. Sometimes I will quickly play a game, not quite to the end, and then students sometimes end up running into technical issues, such as the game costing money right before completing a level or something! That being said, if the game is successful a lot of learning occurs and can be used for discussions and other learning in the classroom.