5 responses to “A1: Outdoor Learning Meets Mobile Technology”

1. miguel rojas ortega

This reminds me a lot of the app Picture This, which I absolutely love. It hard to believe that a phone can scan the leaves and identify what plant it is and give the user loads of information regarding the plant. I also believe that nature and technology are bonded, although one tends to contaminate the other due to the lack of proper disposal by humans, there is a very interesting connection between technology and nature. Especially how we use technology to extract energy from nature and how technology can help us understand and take care of nature better. Thank you for sharing this presentation and helping others have a different perspective on technology with our natural surroundings.

2. Olivia Tarasewicz

Hi Grace, thanks for your presentation. It convinced me to download Shroomify and try it out. I was able to successfully identify a mushroom on my dog walk this morning. It was actually quite exciting to be able to identify a mushroom by answering a few questions so I can imagine that it would be exciting for other learners too. I like that it basically teaches you how to use an identification key. I usually categorize technology separately from nature (i.e., I feel guilty for staring at a screen while out hiking) in my mind. Your presentation and the experience using Shroomify has taught me that technology and nature can be complimentary, when done properly. Cheers!

1. grace reid

I’m so glad you tried it. I agree often they are seen as two different genres of teaching in that you’re either an ‘outdoorsy’ educator or a ‘techie educator.’ The cross curricular potential for the two is endless and I get so excited when I see learners outside accessing knowledge and constructing understanding through the lens of both. Thanks for engaging!

3. grace reid

Sam,
    I agree. Access and equity are crucial for both physical and digital engagement. When planning accommodations need to be accounted for to ensure that educators are meeting the needs of all learners. Here are some resources people can use when planning for meeting the needs of all learners.

• Apple’s accessibility features are built right into th iOS. By searching for accessibility at apple.com you can discover how to turn on the features needed to meet the needs of the user
    • Seeing AI – is a simple and wonderful app for the visually impaired. I also see great potential for how it can be utilized by those needing assistance with reading
    • iaccessibility.com – is a website that curates apps and tools to be used on mobile devices

4. Sam Charles (He/Him/His)

Great presentation Grace! Thanks for the app suggestions.
    Like most mobility apps and technology, I do wonder about access for learners as it relates to accessibility whether devices or data needs. With that said, love the potential of these metacognitive opportunities for not only exploring nature but encouraging learners to get outdoors to explore.