A1:Media Convergence

Here is my Analytical Publishing Project on a topic that has interested me in Media Convergence. Here is my video!

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “A1:Media Convergence”

1. andrew dunn

Thanks for the interesting presentation Daniel. In what ways do you think media convergence is affecting the technologies we use in educational settings?

One trivial example that I can think of: we have a “Cupboard of Extinct Technology” in the teaching and learning centre where I work. Looking in there just now, I saw some clicker tools/tech that the college must have purchased about 5 or 10 years ago. Nowadays students can use their phones to do real-time polling in class, and the clicker-tech has been rendered obsolete through media convergence. Ditto the scanner – nobody scans anymore, and instead uses the Adobe Scan app on their phones.

Of course, the idea of convergence ignores the fact that much of the tech is distributed – some on cloud servers, some on the phone in my hand – convergence is more about the way we experience the tech, rather than the tech actually ‘converging’ on one location (as Henry Jenkins said in regard to the black box).

1. Daniel Edwards

Thank you for your reply. I believe extinct or unused technology to be unfortunately forgotten and unused over time in convergence. I remember an audio visual department storage that was full of overhead projectors roughly 15 years ago, as the technology that replaced them (computer with projectors or digital boards) was higher quality, took up less space of was easier to use. However, it could also be useful for students to see the past technology and have an idea of where it came from sort of a historical context.