15 responses to “Week 9 Moveable Feast: Experience Design”

1. mpaliy

Phygital learning environment has its benefits and risks. Some of the sensors collect students’ data on emotions and engagement in classrooms. Children area being constantly monitored. Their data is usually made public by their parents or other institutions. Many of the wearable devices together with traditional surveillance cameras have now merged into constant data surveillance system. For example, some companies focus on emotion analytics. Behavioural data of emotions is then used to train software to discern most intimate human intentions.

We should be mindful how much data should be mined bout human nature. Children are one of the most vulnerable groups. There are major ethical concerns about student wearable sensors and what type of data these devices should collect.

When will we know that a sufficient amount of data was collected to provide a personalized learning experience?

2. Sarah Mutch

This was a very interesting and practical topic, well done. I was actually thinking about this the other day. I work in a school library, that is in the middle of the school, and therefore unfortunately has no windows. The room is lit by multiple overhead fluorescent lights, and no natural lighting, as one can imagine it is not the most relaxing atmosphere. In our suggestion box, several students suggested getting lamps for the library, and I’m not opposed to the idea, but lamps can take up space, so the thought of trying to find places for lamps, and running around the room turning them on and off every day wasn’t a great idea on a design level. Then I saw wall lamps at Ikea, which would in theory eliminate the space issue, but not the running around the room turning on lights issue. Then I wondered about putting smart bulbs in a wall lamp, and then all of the lights could be turned off and on with the click of a button. In theory and design-wise, it would be efficient and help provide the library with a more relaxed atmosphere. Though there would also be several downsides, like the additional cost of the lamps, and getting smartlights. Then there is also the important question of whether the already struggling school network could handle the additional devices, and more important if third-party applications could be permitted on the school network, or would be deemed as a potential security threat? I believe that the Internet of Things could provide many opportunities when incorporated into new designs, but can be hard to incorporate into older infrastructures that existed before things like ‘the Internet of Things’ were even a concept.

3. Bianca Therese Joson

In response to your discussion question about sensors with mobile technologies, fitness trackers came to my mind. Nowadays, a lot of people rely on these gadgets to count their steps. Lots of people want to hit the magic number of 10,000 steps. They also rely on these gadgets to track their sleep. I also think sensors are used in security applications. For example, the ring doorbells have motion detection. Sensors can also be used with maintaining infrastructure. It can send signals to engineers when a part might be due for repairs. Come to think of it, sensors play a huge role in our daily lives.

4. rylan klassen

Thank you for a great presentation!

I love QR codes. I think they are a game changer in terms of usability. When I was in China they used QR codes for everything, including paying. They can be used for almost everything. While I agree with others about tech limitability in school. If we allowed students to use personal devices, those issues would largely disappear in most classrooms over the age of 12. If only we could implement tech where teachers could monitor all the internet usage within their classroom, which we can, but it does not always happen. In terms of wariness, I worry about using beacon tech to track attendance, like Amazon tracks its employees bathroom breaks. There is a level when it becomes too invasive to personal choice and privacy and having every movement tracked against your will is, in my opinion, across that line, unless the need is proven on an individual basis for safety. Finally, I love the application of the internet of tings into education. The biggest hurdle is cost, and how much it would take to implement such technologies into the average classroom.

5. john hamblett

Hi Catherine and Andrew. Thanks for sharing your website. There are certainly a number of useful applications you presented and it’s changed how I think about experience design in the classroom. Particularly, I can see QR codes and beacons providing a lot of useful supplemental information when learning outside, going on a field trip, or just taking a walk around the school/classroom (like the QR code scavenger hunt). Like many others, I’ve used QR codes often in my everyday life. Admittedly, I’ve been a bit slower implementing it myself in the classroom. One example was last year when using the program Chrome Music Lab. I had created part of a song, and students would scan the QR code to access the song, and then continue on and add more with their device. The biggest challenge I’ve faced so far with using QR codes in the elementary class is having enough devices that have cameras that can be readily accessible.

6. amyylee

Hi Andrew and Catherine,

Thank you for providing great examples and analysis of various “phygital” environments and tools. I haven’t used Plickers with my students, but would love to try it. It seems similar to Kahoot where students answer a series of questions on a topic. I find QR codes very useful in the classroom. Instead of typing in their log in information, my students have QR codes for accessing their myBlueprint e-portfolios. When playing Kahoot or Blooket, students can easily join the game using QR codes. I have also used a QR code generator to create quick links to various websites and resources for students. It is a convenient tool that saves us time, and many students enjoy using it. I would love to try a QR code bulletin where students have access to “a combination of Video QR Codes, Website URL QR Codes, Image QR Codes, and MP3 QR Codes to give a variety of information about a particular subject” (Stein, 2023). I believe one of the biggest drawbacks for using QR codes is the potential security risk. It is important that all educators are aware of the possible risks and weigh the benefits of this tool before using it.

Reference
    Stein, A. (2023, September 13). How teachers are using QR codes in the classroom to enhance learning. QR Code Generator. https://www.qr-code-generator.com/blog/qr-codes-in-the-classroom/

1. Bianca Therese Joson

I will agree with Amy. I’ve also often used QR codes for Kahoot exercises in class. I’ve also used the QR codes generated by Google Chrome to let students access a particular website they need to do their readings. This saves paper as I don’t have to photocopy that often. I think QR codes have risen in use with COVID. A lot of restaurants have QR codes for “contactless” service. It is very convenient as information can be easily transmitted to your phone. It removes the hassle of finding stuff.

7. Sebastian Seo

Good contribution to this week’s moveable feast. Excellent home page (definition + purpose of site), well organized, informative, and easy to navigate.

Great examples of where the physical environment is being adapted to serve mobile tech, including benefits and challenges. Some other potential risks/challenges of adapting the physical environment:

1) User behaviour and acceptance: encouraging users to adapt to these changes and ensuring they utilize the technology effectively and responsibly in these spaces can be a challenge. User behavior, resistance to change, or lack of interest can hinder the full utilization of these advancements.

2) Over-reliance on technology: as physical spaces become more dependent on mobile technology, there’s a risk of over-reliance. Should technology fail, it could disrupt operations and services, leading to potential consequences for users and businesses

1. rylan klassen

Sebastian,

Your point about over-reliance is integral to the debate. For many of these technologies to be properly implemented, it requires full buy in. To add on I would suggest that a risk is forced-reliance on technology. We continue to make a world where access to such technology is required for basic functioning, and in the process understand less and less about the underlying actions that run society.

1. andrew dunn

Great point Rylan! Something that is always missing from conversations about ed tech adoption is continuity planning – what to do if (when) the tech goes down.

8. Michelle Kim

Hi Andrew and Catherine, I enjoyed reading the information about experience design on your website. I particularly appreciated your input on suggestions of potential educational use and the risks for each technology since it is essential to consider when planning to use in the classroom. We set up a few things around my house to create a “phygital” and comfortable environment. For example, we have a QR code that connects to Wi-Fi, and we also have an Internet of Things device, Google Home, as used in your example. I have less experience in my classroom. I recently had an experience using QR codes for one of my reading activities that linked to an Augmented Reality experience. My students enjoyed it very much, and I’m willing to try more when I can find the solution to the challenge of protecting student privacy and security.

1. andrew dunn

Hi Michelle

Thanks for sharing! I’m still at the stage where I ask for an ‘old person’ menu if there’s a QR code on the table. But I do expect these kinds of connections between the real and virtual worlds to continue to grow in importance.

9. Elvio Castelli

Hey,
    I enjoyed your presentation; well done!
    It seems there is a common theme in experience design, and that is privacy concerns. I myself have many concerns about the security of my information and privacy when using the internet, apps, etc. How can we make this more secure? This question led me to the idea that school boards should need to develop computer courses that are mandatory for students. In these courses, students should be taught how their data is used, how they can protect it, and what to do if there is a data breach. Interconnectivity has grown at a breathtaking speed, and almost everyone is connected somehow now, and it will only continue to grow. Privacy breaches are a real threat to individuals and should be taken seriously, and someone trained should be informing students for their own sake.
    Elvio

1. andrew dunn

Hi Elvio

Privacy and ethics are a major concern for sure. As with a lot of technologies, I think we are tacitly accepting a certain loss of privacy in exchange for the benefits of the tech. The problem is, we don’t know what we’re giving up, and not everyone benefits equally. I wonder if radical data transparency might be a possible solution – mandating that any data we share with tech is shared back to us. We’d need smart developers to make interfaces to render this meaningful – I’d love to see a data trace of where my info goes when I accept the Ts and Cs for an app, for example.

10. meagan kelm

I think there are already a lot of sensors that can be connected with mobile devices. I see a lot of sensors for health that are connected to mobile technology such as activity monitors, heart rate monitors and even blood monitors for things like diabetes.

There are also environmental monitors that could be helpful by giving real time air and uv index measurements which can be useful for people who have allergies or other conditions where they need to be careful with air quality