Week 10 Moveable Feast: 5G and Drone Technology

Hello! Sebastian, Debbie, and I have created a website discussing 5G technology and drones. Please peruse our website and once you’re finished, come back here and participate in our discussion to let us know of your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to look at our website!

https://sites.google.com/view/5g-drone/home

Discussion Prompts

-What is your experience with 5G networks and/or drone technology inside or outside the classroom?

-What do you see as potential applications for 5G drones in education and training or other fields?

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

17 responses to “Week 10 Moveable Feast: 5G and Drone Technology”

1. mpaliy

5G technology provides robust connection and creates access to learning opportunities. 5G technology allows users to experience VR, AR and IoT. 5G combined with machine learning and other technological tools will improve the efficiency of the learning process. In addition, 5G should enable holographic communication. For example, holograms can be used to teach students about anatomy or surgery by projecting realistic images of human body parts.

What could be other example of 5G holograms in Education?

1. debbiec

Mpaliy,

Thank you for your insightful comment! 5G not only allows drones to fly efficiently but also opens doors for other exciting possibilities in education. I agree that the potential applications of 5G holograms in education are vast. Beyond anatomy and surgery, imagine leveraging holograms for astronomy to bring celestial bodies into the classroom or using dynamic molecular visualizations in chemistry classes. Historical events could come to life through holographic reenactments, offering students a more immersive learning experience. Language learning, too, could benefit from interactive conversations with holographic representations of native speakers. Here is a link about holograms in learning. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/3d-holograms-education-transformation-learning-3uf4f/

2. Bianca Therese Joson

Hi Sebastian, Debbie, and John!

Great mini presentation about drones and 5G networks. You’ve included lots of ways drones could be used. I didn’t know that drones could also be used in agriculture. It does make a lot of sense from the video you’ve provided. Farmers can inspect more surface area without having to drive around the farm.

Another usage of drones is for Transport Canada’s Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) project. They’ve used these systems to safely integrate drones into busy airports. They’ve also used these drones to map out highways in the north and for animal research. They’ve used drones alongside with AI tech to identify endangered marine animals.

These things were only a novelty when it came out but they can definitely help to improve research and development in a number of industries.

1. debbiec

Hi Bianca,

Thanks for your thoughtful comment! We appreciate your positive feedback on our 5G and Drone Technology presentation. It’s exciting to see your interest in the various applications of drones, such as their use in agriculture, airport integration through Transport Canada’s RPAS project, highway mapping, and their contribution to animal research. The combination of drones and AI for identifying endangered marine animals highlights the multifaceted impact of these technologies. Your insights align with our goal of showcasing how drones can significantly contribute to research and development across diverse industries.

3. Sarah Mutch

Great presentation, I confess I had not put a lot of thought into drones before, and found your presentation very insightful and informative. I recently watched a Mark Rober video, ‘Amazing Invention – This Drone Will Change Everything’ and learned about another use of drones you might be interested in is the use of AI gliding drones in Rwanda. They have a medical supply base with blood donations, and emergency medical supplies that are sent via drone to remote hospitals up to 241 km (150 miles) away. Supplies that would normally take up to four hours to be delivered by car due to the winding roads around mountains, can be delivered by drone in twenty minutes or less. These drone deliveries have reduced “in-hospital maternal mortality by 88%” which to me is amazing and mind-blowing. I will definitely be keeping drones in mind when planning out future STEAM lessons.

https://youtu.be/DOWDNBu9DkU?feature=shared

1. debbiec

Hi Sarah,
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts! The Mark Rober video on AI gliding drones in Rwanda has added an insightful perspective to our research on 5G drones, pushing it into the realm of AI Future drones. The impact of drone deliveries on medical supplies and the significant reduction in in-hospital maternal mortality is truly inspiring. Your contribution from an audience standpoint motivates us to delve deeper into the potential of drones for future AI and STEAM exploration.

4. rylan klassen

Thank you Sebastien, Debbie, and John.

Your presentation was interesting and insightful. I found the summary of 5G particularly helpful, as before the G mean nothing to me and I thought of it as simply faster internet. As a concept, it is crazy how fast the internet has gotten/will get and the amount of things you can do instantaneously. Considering how fast AI is developing, it makes sense that the internet/WIFI will adapt to processing speeds that can handle that level of technological integration of a multitude of tasks. As for drones, while I find them interesting and can see how they are invaluable in the future of shipping, transportation, and military, I still don’t see a clear path forward in education for the implementation of drones in the near future. The tech is too expensive, too rare, for most schools to be investing in hands on experiences for children, at least where I am. My district has just started VR, and those are significantly less likely to get damaged than a drone with a child in control. However, I can appreciate the importance of drones, and 5G, as a future trend in technology. Finally, I wanted to point out the video you included that used BCI (brain-computer interface) a tech I considered to be a part of science fiction and did not know was actively being developed. If we can interface through thought, on a system that is 5G or faster, and send physically technology through those systems, I am flabbergasted at what the future may look like. So thank you again for helping open my eyes once again to the potentials of technology.

1. john hamblett

Thanks for the feedback, Ryan! I agree that integration for drones in the classroom is definitely further away for most classrooms than other more developed educational technologies like VR. However, many other technologies like computers, laptops, and mobile devices were in similar situations in past years. It will be exciting to see where 5G and drone technology takes off! (no pun intended)

5. amyylee

Hi John, Sebastian, and Debbie,

I really enjoyed browsing your informative website on 5G Drone Mobile Tech. I found the Drone Legends school program interesting and exciting as I have never used drones in a classroom setting. While this program provides hands-on, inspiring STEM opportunities for students, I am curious about its affordability and accessibility. I can see that this program is based in the United States, and I wonder if any similar school programs are available in Canada. I was amazed by the various topics and skills you can learn using drones and learned so much about the educational uses of drones. Thank you for your presentation this week.

1. john hamblett

Hi Amy,

I’m glad you find the website useful! The application and technologies are still relatively new, so there are definitely more options in the US than in Canada. However, there are still some Canadian options. For those looking to expand their skillset and increase their credentials, the Government of Canada offers a Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations: https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/drone-safety/drone-pilot-licensing/find-drone-flight-school.

Like I mentioned to Michelle, in Ontario there is also Drones in the Classroom: Education Taking Flight https://www.dronesined.com/
      I hope these resources are of use to you!

6. Michelle Kim

Hi all,
    I learned a lot from reading over your well-organized, visually friendly, and informative webpage regarding 5G mobile technology. I was most familiar with drones being used as a camera and have heard about their various uses but have yet to think or look deeply into their use in education, so it was exciting. I was pleasantly surprised about its potential use and am eager to see how educators will implement it in their teaching environments. I also agree that educators are, in ways, preparing students for the jobs that do not exist at this point with this fast-paced change. One question I have is how educators can be prepared for these changes. One example would be using drones in education. With such limited access to resources, I wonder how it would be possible for educators to be prepared to teach this knowledge.

1. john hamblett

Hi Michelle,
      As a whole, the job market is reinforcing more critical thinking, problem-solving, and open-ended thinking than ever before. Because so many tasks can be automated, the future workforce will seek higher-level, more complex work that can’t be completed by a machine. How can we prepare students if these technologies like drones aren’t readily available yet? I think the first step is continuing to promote skills like critical thinking. The next step is awareness of how 5G and drones are being used currently. Then, there are discussions in the classroom on how drones are currently being used. Much like any new technology, it’s unlikely that it will start with a class set right from the get-go. Classrooms often had only one computer before having class sets of Chromebooks or iPads. I imagine this will be the case for drones as well. While it’s still a new field, different companies are starting to offer drone education professional development sessions: https://www.dronesined.com/

7. Daniel Edwards

Hello, Sebastian, Debbie, and John. Thank you very much for your presentation on drones and 5G technology. The present applications you presented, as well as the applications in the context of Education and in the future, are promising. I have a concern regarding air space with drones. I thought of this as people I know ran into restrictions on where and when they could fly, but this was mostly in urban areas in the USA and Hong Kong. If I may ask, is it usually relaxed in most places? How has flying been for where you are?

I would like to say that this technology seems like a significant step in the future due to the number of companies that are using drones or creating them. I look forward to observing and learning more about drone technology in the classroom in the future.

1. Sebastian Seo

Thank you for your response Daniel and raising good questions.

Drone flying restrictions vary across different regions and countries. In some jurisdictions, drone restrictions appear to be relaxed for recreational use in designated ares, drone tech advancement, and commercial use; however in some juridisctions, flying drones appear to be strict due to airspace safety concerns, privacy and security concerns, and stricter certification/license requirements.

In Canada, flying drone regulations are governed by Transport Canada, and other laws: criminal code (offences against air or maritime safety, breaking and entering, mischief), your province’s trespass act, and voyeurism and privacy laws.

Some key legal requirements when flying drones: all drones that are 250g to 25kg must be registered with transport canada, pilots must be min 14 yrs of age, must operate in visual line of sight, no fly zones around airports, and anywhere aircrafts are operating, restrictions flying near emergency ops, crows and certain airspaces, should not be flown higher than 400 ft, and different rules apply based on a drone’s spec. Operators and orgs may face penalties, including fines and/or jail time if rules are broken.

Ref: https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/drone-safety/learn-rules-you-fly-your-drone/flying-your-drone-safely-legally

1. Daniel Edwards

Thank you for the clear and detailed information, Sebastian.

The regulations seem reasonable, and I will also check for my own jurisdiction, just to be sure.

8. Sebastian Seo

Hello Meagan, thank you for sharing your experience with drones. Safety indeed is a significant advantage in using drones for surveillance and monitoring. Other use case scenarios where drones can provide safety benefits: emergency response and public safety, traffic monitoring and accident investigation, and health and disease control. The key limitations and/or considerations in advancing drone technology include: 5G infrastructure deployment, regulary and legal constraints (restrictions on flight altitude, no fly zones), security and privacy concerns (misuse for unauthorized surveillance, interference with critical infrastructure).

9. meagan kelm

Hello week 10 group, thanks to much for your presentation on 5G and drones. In my job we use drones a lot mainly for surveillance as well as safety. The use of drones allows us to clear buildings and be able to plan and options without us having to be there. I can see a lot of potential for this technology and 5G in industries but it was great to see the possibilities in education as well. In your research did you come across and cons or things that need to be considered when advancing this technology?