A1 – Audiovisual Learning

I took a gamble and tried to create an educational video about educational videos. Very meta.

I made major attempts to capture some of the most common editing animations or tools, such as interlaying videos, overlapping voice audio and background music, and interweaving subtitles wherever possible to create a layered communication effect. This highlights almost a necessity in the future for education to use multimodal methods to communicate for the most efficient learning for viewers.

I took a lot of inspiration from some of my favorite digital platforms, many on YouTube including Veritasium, Psych2Go, to TV-based Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and even podcast/blog formats such as Mayim Bialik’s “Breakdown” series. When it comes to education, which thematisizes learning into condensed audiovisual media that ranges from the short 5-10 minute range, to 20 to 30 minute episodes, trends have become apparent in how ideas are being shared digitally. A lot of the video editing features took some time to get used to, but as I continue to consume knowledge in this format, I have began to wonder if this medium will become a new standard of what ‘language’ means and how this will change how we communicate and learn.

Feedback as always is appreciated! Critiques are welcome. A big conversation question I have is: what insights do you have in terms of using audiovisual media to use in education? What trends do you see and how has it changed how we communicate?