Mike’s Introduction

Stock market quotes in newspaper

Hi Everybody, my name is Michael Whalen and I chose the above picture because I understand what’s going on in the world and the economy mainly by numbers and charts. The websites I “read” the most during the day are ones connected to the stock market, which are mostly communicated in numbers and charts. From there I then read articles of why those numbers are changing.

I’m a High School Business teacher in Ontario that mainly teaches grade 12 Economics and Finance courses. I’ve been teaching for 6 years, after 10+ years working at IBM and the Bank of Nova Scotia. My passion is with the stock market and sports, and I get to live that out teaching at a high school for athletes. My wife and I have 2 kids who keep us very busy, so I enjoy the down time of reading our course requirements. This will be my 5th course in the MET program, I can’t believe I will be half way done!!!!

Looking forward to working with you all this semester.
Mike

5 thoughts on “Mike’s Introduction

• Interesting pictures Mike! In my post I said how I felt text is something that conveys a message. Certainly not everyone can get the same message in some cases! To some, your stock market reports and even the sports scores may be a very challenging text. They may not get the message at all! 🙂 I look forward to your perspective on things from a high school point of view.

1. Hi Mike,
    I think your background and perspective will be very welcome in our course! I’ve also reached the halfway point in MET working on my 6th and 7th courses this summer. Looking forward to working with you.
    ~Sandra