Jennifer’s Introduction

When reading the introductory comments, my first thought was that “text” is anything that communicates a message. When I went online to look for a picture to represent this, the picture above jumped out at me. Whether it is print text like a book or magazine, digital text like an e-book, an email or a text message, or visual text like a symbol or a picture, anything that entails one person sending some form of a message to others, is text.

My name is Jennifer Best-Butler and I am a 2nd grade teacher in Labrador, on the far eastern side of Canada. We live on the 53rd parallel, so we have long, very cold winters, and short, hot summers, but it is a wonderful, safe, friendly place that I’ve called home for most of my life.

One focus in our Language Arts curriculum these days is visual text. A simple picture, like the one above, can convey so much information to the “reader.” Making students literate in all areas and in all types of text becomes more interesting and more challenging every day as we see even through the brief introduction how much text has changed over time.

In 2nd grade Social Studies, we define technology as anything that is used to make our lives easier or more fun! Many days I have a hard time accepting that my phone makes my life easier as my children and husband have a way to reach me no matter where I am, but there is no doubt that technological advances have changed our lives in many useful ways.This is my 7th MET course (or 8th I guess, as I’m doing two), and I just luckily got in from the wait list! It is my first time doing two courses at once, so I hope I make it through! I have enjoyed looking at the pictures chosen so far and look forward to meeting the rest of you as well.

6 thoughts on “Jennifer’s Introduction

1. Hi Jennifer,
    I’m also taking two course this term, and I took two last summer as well. Sometimes I would get confused and intermingle the content, but I think that’s OK! I look forward to working with you this summer.
    ~Sandra

2. Hello Jennifer,

Nice to have another East Coaster in the course! I have only been as far as West St Modeste and Pinware in Labrador, but have enjoyed exploring many areas in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador!

• Well Linn and Jennifer that makes three of us East Coasters. I may now live in the Okanagan Valley of B.C but you can’t take the Atlantic out of this kid. I wasn’t able to set foot in Newfoundland (the frowning plane staff would only let me pock my head out the door) but it is on my bucket list.
      Terry

3. Text is anything that communicates a message.

I love that! I have recently started trying to incorporate the term into my vocabulary when I’m teaching and this distinction would be a great teaching point.