From the Phoenicians to Facebook…

Who am I?  A Mother…. a teacher…  a mentor… a wife…  a divorcee…  a survivor of abuse… an adventurer… an optimist… a student.  Who am I?  A person with many layers, experiences, memories, and stories.

When I think about text technologies I need to look at the purpose behind text; the history.  Text enables me to share who I am with a sense of permanence.  Text provides the security in knowing my words will be forever remembered.  While oral history has merit, recording using some form of media, whether it be heiroglyphics, papyrus, paper, or in a digital format, ensures that the ideas I am recording remain unaltered.

From the Phoenicians to Facebook.  Since early times, people have wanted to share.  They have wanted to record moments, memories, stories, and events.  Cave paintings and heiroglyphics have provided windows into the past.  Where I live there are places with petroglyphs carved into the rocks; the need to record with permanence.

Social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, exploded world wide as they serve a need, the desire to be connected to other people.  Text provides that connection.  Had the Phoenicians had the internet, who knows how it would have affected civilization.  However, the idea is truly fascinating.

AlphabetEvolution        <<<—–  to —->alphabets

So when I think of who I am…. and how to introduce myself…   I relate to the changes in text over time because I believe I am really a person on a journey, changing as I go.  I am a teacher with a love of learning, an inquiring mind, and someone who is looking forward to the path ahead as it certainly is exciting.

Thank you for being a part of this journey with me.

Tina Gordon

11 thoughts on “From the Phoenicians to Facebook…

1. I love your title! I think it really captures the evolution that has occurred over time with textual communication.

2. Hi Tina,
    I love the multitude of roles you have shared in your intro. So true, that we are constantly evolving over time much in the same way that communication is evolving. I see many of the change as a positive and very exciting… looking forward to working with you in 540.
    ~Sandra

3. Hi Tina,
    Really nice way of bringing together personal change and the change in text over time.
    The graphic of the new internet is dead on and really interesting.

-Bryan

4. Love the “new” alphabet. I remember being in high school (pre-text messaging days) and using MSN Messenger to communicate with my friends. I wonder how old this picture is because I haven’t heard of anyone using Messenger for a long time. Just goes to show how fast technology and ways of communicating are changing and adapting.
    Kara

5. Good catch, Kara!! Since “X” is for “XP”, I’m thinking it is not very “current”. lol
    Tina

6. Hi Tina. Great visuals! I think you’ve nailed it. I often wonder what famous writers and communicators of years past would post on their Twitter accounts today and what kind of interaction it would enable. Once Margaret Atwood re-tweeted one of my posts. My high school literary heroine! It was surreal. Though we are rightly overloaded with information, it’s quite something to step back and marvel that we really do live in awesome times. Let’s stay excited!

7. Hi Tina;
    You may be interested in this woman from B.C. and her work with the markings in prehistoric caves that surround the paintings.
    THE NATIONAL | May 20, 2015 | 13:36
    Cave sign communication
    Before the written word, early humans may have used symbols as the first form of graphic communicationhttp://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/ID/2667578772/

Fascinating stuff and to think it has survived so long. The verdict is still out on how long some technology will last – check the battery life.
    Terry