Bryan’s Introduction

profile

Above is an image of my Linkedin profile. Social profiles are a relatively new form of text and require its own forms of reading and writing. Writers often focus on creating the most socially acceptable and likable profile as a representation for him or herself. In a way, the profile stands in for a person in a digital space. And just like a person might dress nicely, put on makeup or adjust their tie, the appearance of a profile needs to be cultivated. As such, with profiles, text becomes about appearance. That to me seems quite a different use of text than any other media.

Moreover, with reading profiles, readers do not necessarily read it like a resume or a biography. Rather people often read profiles based on the logic or game of that profile. For example, you might judge my Linkedin profile by endorsements and connections in addition to what I wrote. Profiles often also provide more information than a reader needs and this forces the reader to pick and choose based on interest and intention. So it’s a really different kind of text whose form is evolving over time.

(You can click the image to see the profile… and connect with me!)

A little about me. I’m an online course designer at a school in Toronto and have been doing that for the past year. Each day I’m working to make more interesting and interactive online courses and knowing how to better use text and language in online spaces will be really beneficial. I like travelling and have lived and taught in Korea and China. (I’ve also been to Japan as seen in the featured image.) During this course, I’ll actually be in China in July!

I look forward to learning from this course and everyone in it!

7 thoughts on “Bryan’s Introduction

1. Hi Bryan,
    I didn’t know you could imbed a linked in invite within WordPress! Thanks for sharing that, and I sent you an invite to connect. Online course design sounds very interesting as do all of your travels! I look forward to working with you over the summer in this course.
    ~Sandra

2. Hi,
    I have been to the Gold Temple also, it was absolutely stunning. I look forward to getting to know you.

Haneefa

3. Hello again, Bryan!

As much as I hate to admit it…. you are a younger generation than myself. As such, I had not thought much about text from the standpoint of a digital profile! However, that is so much a part of the world of the younger generation. Well done!! You have made me think, think, think!!

Tina

• Hi Tina,
      You might be right that it is a generational thing. However, it seems that more and more older people from Baby Boomers to Gen X are getting into using social profiles. However, many are suspicious as well because of how they can become platforms for over-sharing.