Catherine’s Introduction

bookImage

I chose a traditional view of text as it relates to literacy and reading. This is an image of the books on my bedside table. Although I selected most of these titles with purpose, I usually have a whole stack going. I chose the titles specifically, so that the image itself becomes a text to my reading history. I have also included my Kobo reader, as I am increasingly using it to read, especially library books, which is an example of a technological change in the past time.

This is my fourth MET course. I was a high school teacher, in history and chemistry, until last year. I am looking to transition careers into instructional design. I am currently living in Ottawa, ON.

I have chosen this course because I am interested in the effects of technology of human behaviour and communication. I have been watching the changes made by computer technology closely for a few years now, and I am interested in looking at the longer history of text and technology.

6 thoughts on “Catherine’s Introduction

1. Great image, Catherine! It is particularly staggering how the Kobo can hold an entire library…. you would not be able to find your bedside table if all of the e-reader books were on it. I think it is wonderful that we are in that generational era that is still in “awe” of tech advancements. Whereas our digital citizen children don’t think it is a big deal.

Enjoy!
    Tina

2. Hi Catherine! I have completely left behind actual books for my own reading purposes and solely use my e-reader. I actually don’t think I could survive without it! But I cannot see a day in my career where I will replace a beautifully illustrated children’s book with an e-reader! Just seems wrong. Nice to meet you!

• Oh I, too, agree with your comment on illustrated Children’s books. I have kept a few for sentimental value and will pick up the odd one at used book sales.
      I couldn’t help seeing Lucy Maud’ s Anne of the Island. We were given, as children, one book of the Anne series each time we traveled to the Island and cherished them into adulthood so much so that a small tear in the dust jacket caused an incident in our house. I think it was in a Canadian literature course that I heard that Montgomery was one of the all time top ten internationally read books (which would explain part of the tourist numbers for PEI).
      We have some good reading ahead of us in this course.
      Terry

3. Hi Catherine,
    Lovely choice of image that features books! Welcome to 540 and I look forward to working with you.
    ~Sandra

4. Great image! I too always have several books on the go! I love the look of books by the bed too – but honestly, that’s not why their only there! I am really looking forward to working with you and learning from you!