Jody’s Introduction

IMG_20150512_070034

Hello. My name is Jody McKinnon and I’ve chosen this photo of me (a selfie) that I took yesterday on my 17th day walking the picket line here in Ontario. I picked it because it basically defines my world right now and the protest sign is such a simple communication tool. I find it ironic in our media saturated world that I literally have to carry my message around with me for me to be heard.

This is my 8th MET course and I can finally see the finish line. I currently teach English and Geography (that is I would be teaching) at a school in Whitby, Ontario. This fall will be my 20th year in the classroom. This summer I will be going to Kenya on a Me to We trip that will involve building a school, so I will be absent from the course from July 9-23.

Other than that, I look forward to completing this course as I have a strong interest in literacy.

12 thoughts on “Jody’s Introduction

1. Welcome Jody, I can’t begin to understand what it’s been like for you guys out in Durham. You have our support beside you in York Region. I know BC went through this last year about this time, so they might have some good advice on how to get through it.

Mike

2. That text certainly conveys a powerful meaning! I hope it all works out soon. Best of luck with the course and your trip! It sounds like a great experience.

3. Hi Jody,
    I’m another BC teacher who can definitely relate to what you are going through right now in Ontario. While I walked the picket line some days, I also took my lawn chair and course materials last summer and used some of the time to study. Best wishes and looking forward to working with you in 540.
    ~Sandra

4. Best of luck with the strike AND the trip, Jody!! As yet another BC teacher that just finished enduring the endless block walks… I hope your fight is more successful than ours. Regardless of the outcome, in thinking back to “text”, the messages you are able to share with the public, the careful words you choose for your signs, will educate the masses and hopefully make a difference. That is the power of text.

Good luck!
    Tina

5. From another BC teacher, you have our support! Best of luck. I attended We Day this year in Vancouver and heard about other teacher’s Me to We experiences, from the sound of it you are going to have a fantastic time!
    Kara

6. Hi Jody;
    I seem to recall we were in an early course together but you had a smile on your face. And you were/are a great photographer. Can’t wait to see what images you come up with in this course.

Stay safe out there.
    Terry