Hello from Stephanie

Text1

(Note: Click on the image to see the full resolution)

I think this image speaks to me about the relationship between text and technology as the two terms are almost inseparable now. In fact, this very image was created by pasting various definitions of ‘text’ and ‘technology’ into a cloud based technology found at www.wordle.net. I find this application very representative of modern text as text has evolved to lose their permanence. Text no longer needs to appear in print, but they still carry on great significance in their fleeting state with the aid of technology. Together, text and technology contribute to make up the ‘knowledge’ that society relies on. As easy as this image was created, it cannot be recreated even with the same text which brings in a unique identity for this image. I find this in itself interesting since both text and technology both encompasses such differences and similarities in defining human culture.

I am currently a high school math/science teacher in the Surrey school district. I have taught from a time when chalkboards were used to a time when cell phones and tablets are used. Despite the level of comfort around such technology, most text in schools are still hard copy rather than digital. I spend many hours photocopying notes and even when offered an e-textbook with the note-taking, searching and highlighting capabilities, students still prefer the physical copy because they feel more secured having an actual textbook. I am hoping that this course can help me reach a better understanding of digital text so that I can take advantage of modern day technology in order to enhance the learning experience of a digital aged student.

6 thoughts on “Hello from Stephanie

1. Hi Stephanie,
    Most of my Math classes were taught using an overhead projector! Do you ever feel like you are drowning in papers to mark? Sometimes I do. I look forward to working with you this summer, (I’m in Surrey too!)
    ~Sandra

2. Hi Stephanie,
    I also teach in Surrey at the elementary level. I am new to teaching and have been at a school where we have a lot of tech at our disposal. For me using tech in the majority of my lessons (like textbooks online) isn’t a problem because we have laptops and iPads available, and most of my students have their own devices. I got laid off this year and I am a bit worried that I am going to be placed in a school where tech isn’t so readily available, and I will have to go almost backwards and teach using an overhead projector or photocopying worksheets.
    Kara

3. Hi Stephanie;
    You must be very young – chalkboards were used just yesterday!
    Here at the college we have one instructor who will want a carousel projector to show his slides once a year so we keep one in storage. The problem is that the time and effort to update his slide collection to a newer technology would not be cost efficient.
    From what we have been reading, I don’t see us giving up on a paper format any time soon. It also has a ripping quality with pleasing sound effects that are quite satisfying to relieve a little stress that technologies don’t provide.

Terry