Lynn’s Introduction

Lynn Lalonde Intro

Lynn Lalonde Intro

How do you assess a child’s digital literacy skills? How do you define pre-reading, reading and writing skills when working with digital media? What do digital reading rates imply?

I selected this picture, as it is a typical scene that is included in my daily work life. This photo includes a laptop, two iPads, portable video magnifiers, a distance viewer, and a large monitor, as well as a dictionary and a pen. I travel with a suitcase full of extension cords, connector cords, batteries, multi –level and multi formatted reading materials, an iPhone for a hotspot and a LAN cord for local dial-up connections.  I have worked with school aged school students and preschoolers in homes, classrooms, guidance offices, conference rooms, health rooms, and even photocopy and art supply rooms. This particular photo was taken in a resource classroom in Deer Lake Newfoundland.

My name is Lynn Lalonde. My home is Moncton New Brunswick, but I commute most weeks to work in Halifax Nova Scotia. During the school year I travel throughout the Atlantic Provinces.   I work for an educational organization called APSEA, which provides educational support to students who are Blind and Partially Sighted and/or Deaf and Hard of Hearing.   I oversee the Assistive Technology department, which provides technology and training support for Vision teachers, classroom teachers and students who live and work in their home communities across the Atlantic Provinces of Canada.  My work focuses mainly on classroom access for students who have low vision or are blind, although AAC (Augmentative Alternative Communication) is also becoming an important aspect of our field, since many children have multiple disabilities.

As mentioned in my questions above, I am interested on how we  can define and assess literacy skills for students who rely on assistive technology as their primary literacy medium.  This includes auditory and tactual (Braille and touch typing) literacy skills as well.

This is my second course as part of the MET TBLS Certificate program. My areas of specialization are Special Education, Visual Impairment and Educational Psychology.  I chose to be pursue this program, to improve my knowledge and  skills in educational technology, and move beyond the focus of Assistive Tech.

I have included a second photo. This is Buttons the cat, sitting on my carry-on tech suitcase during a visit to a home. It is not a small suitcase! It required Fancy Feast dinner, to move her.

MET IntroPicture 2

2 thoughts on “Lynn’s Introduction

1. Welcome Lynn! I like this sort of “what’s is your bag” approach to introductions that some of you have taken (Catherine, Terry, Ben…), quite personal considering the limitations of the medium.

2. Hello Lynn;
    I’m originally from Saint John (just down the road from you!) I admire your work. It must be very rewarding to come up with ideas to enhance learning and teaching of children with disabilities. I have volunteered with a charitable organization here called the Sunshine Foundation (life-threatening illnesses and disabilities) for many years. I’ve met some wonderful children and their amazing families.
    I’m also thinking you must have had some harrowing experiences traveling this winter between provinces.
    Can’t wait to read your perspectives on computerized writing tools.
    Terry