Ben’s Introduction

IMG_1589_2

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ben King and the image I took is of my workbench at the end of the school day. I chose to take this image as it shows how far technology has come and also how much has stayed the same. Students in my classes create projects using microprocessors that are cheaper, smaller, and more powerful than the computers I grew up with. These same students however still use “old” tools like files and hammers, tools that have been around for ages.

As you may have gathered I am a high school shop teacher. I teach Electronics, Drafting, and Engineering at John Oliver Secondary School in Vancouver. I am currently enrolled in my third and fourth MET courses. I look forward to learning from everyone.

Cheers,
Ben King

3 thoughts on “Ben’s Introduction

1. Sorry, Ben, but that workbench looks awful neat for a techie 🙂
    I work as support for a number of IT and AV technicians. There are so many gadgets and gismos, gender benders and cables around, it can be difficult just looking for a simple battery or lamp. I’m glad to see your students are also learning organizational skills.
    terry
    PS I have a hammer very much like yours only my grandfather make it himself. Interesting thought that a hammer can be seen as both destructive and constructive.

• Haha thanks Terry,

I should have mentioned that this was one bench in a very large classroom filled with the mess typical of a tech teacher. I will take the compliment though.
      Hammers are timeless I have no idea how long the one in my classroom has been there, and it will likely still be there when I am gone.

thanks for your response.
      Ben