Rebecca’s Introduction

PicCollage

The above images were taken from different places in the school I teach at. With help from my resource teacher I have evolved from teaching “Spelling” to Word Study (students learn words based on word patterns or sound groupings). They start by getting a page of all the words and then we work as a class or they work independently on figuring out how to sort the words into categories and then we discuss what makes each category slightly different than the others or if any words don’t belong.

Here on the top left we have the traditional chalkboard, which still remains in almost all the classroom at our school, but most teachers no longer use these boards as other walls have been converted to white boards. Next we have the word study words printed out, and the third image is the words cut out and filed away into a flip chart, and then finally we have the words up on white board to represent our digital environment. Our school will be installing 4 interactive white boards at the end of June, which will enable students to ‘interact’ with the words by moving them around on the screen, listening to how they are spoken, and trying to incorporate new words into the sort. I’m interested in how this process of text (literacy) will evolve in classrooms in the next few years.

My name is Rebecca and I currently teach a grade 6/7 class in Vancouver. This is my 5th MET course and excited to know it will be half way after this summer : ) I have a 2 year old daughter who keeps me busy with all my other time outside work and school.

3 thoughts on “Rebecca’s Introduction

1. Welcome Rebecca! nice to read about you and your little one, I look forward to learning with you 🙂

Rakhshanda Khan

2. Hi Again Rebecca;
    You have an interesting technology set up. Sounds like they don’t want to let go of the old quite yet.
    So glad we will be learning together again.
    Terry