Rip. Mix. Feed.-Pinterest

I chose to use Pinterest for the Rip. Mix. Feed. assignment because I think it is a great social bookmarking tool. A few years ago I created a Delicious account to bookmark sites I found useful for teaching, but I found that I never really used my account. Then I discovered Pinterest and became addicted! It is aesthetically pleasing to look at, easy to use, fun, and I use it for both for work and personal use. I like that I can follow other teachers boards, and share ideas with others.

To demonstrate a way in which Pinterest can be used educationally by students, I collected a bunch of pins that I found through searching Pinterest and on the web to show what I have done/am going to do this summer, things I have or plan on making, places I plan on going, activities I have or will be doing, and things that have happened here in BC so far this summer.

Follow Kara Crowley’s board Summer 2015 on Pinterest.

Teachers can use Pinterest to collect lesson ideas or create assignments, and students can use Pinterest to create boards on countries or provinces (the culture, geography, etc), create boards on a historical person’s point of view (add pins relating to that person’s interests, accomplishments, etc), use boards to collect resources for assignments, showcase student work, the list goes on and on.

The potential drawbacks to Pinterest is that you have to create an account, which means that students need an email address which may not work for younger students. Also, when searching pins on boards, the content may not always be appropriate and so I lesson or explanation about school appropriate pins may be needed.

Pinterest. 2011. Pinterest logo. [Digital image] Retrieved fromĀ https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pinterest_logo.png

5 thoughts on “Rip. Mix. Feed.-Pinterest

1. I love pinterest! It’s such a fun way to be connected with people everywhere! I have wondered how it would work in the classroom and like your idea here! Very fun!

2. I use Pinterest within the classroom for scavenger hunts. Instead of looking for the physical objects, students must hunt the internet for whatever we are “searching” for. We could be comparing online sources (what makes a good source vs a questionable source) or searching for examples of how healthcare is organized in different parts of the world. Fortunately, I work with adults and they generally do not have issues creating accounts, as long as they see the purpose and relevance of the technology.

Great post!!

3. Hello, Kara. Thanks for sharing the value of Pinterest. There are so many ways in which pinning visual bookmarks onto boards can be useful and fun. I discussed the weaknesses of Delicious in my own post; it’s easy to understand why it is not as engaging.

It is a shame I cannot post JPGs in a comment. I took screenshots of all of them. If you visit pinterest.com without logging in, keep refreshing the cover splash. They are running a campaign to entice men as Pinterest appears to be dominated by women. Tag lines include, “He used Pinterest to redo his floors,” “He used Pinterest to explore new campsites,” and “He used Pinterest to start his [record] collection.”

See you online!
    Julia
    https://www.pinterest.com/jkdpr/

4. Pinterest has so much to offer! I use it both professionally and personally. It is a great way to organize ideas and very easy to navigate. I really enjoyed looking through your board!