Rip Mix Feed – ArcGIS Online

I figured that since I am a geography teacher and that I just came back from Kenya, that I would explore a program that has frustrated me to no end in the past. Our new geography curriculum expects us to use ArcGIS in our classrooms. I took a workshop on it in the past and I was overwhelmed by its complexity. Enough time has since passed so I looked at it again because it does have this great application within that allows users to create custom maps and pin images and video to it. So, I thought I would share my journey with you.

Rip – well, the images were ripped from my own camera and several other cameras from other trip participants. We compiled our pictures in a Google Drive account made just for our team.

Mix – I combined images, a video and a map to tell a story.

The problem with this program is that it is a bit confusing to use at first. You can import images from a variety of sources (Facebook, Picasa etc.) so that can be easy, but it can be time consuming to add geolocations to them (especially if they aren’t already tagged). The layouts are limited but users do have some say in font styles, colours and so forth. This could work well in classrooms once the students are familiar with how to use it.

I was just trying to convey my trip through the eyes of a geography teacher and I think I was able to do this. You can do something similar in Google Maps but I wanted to try this program again and I now feel a bit more confident in using it in the future. This style of story mapping is only one of several available within the site. It’s worth a look and of course, it’s free.

Here is a link to my storymap: will be provided when it is fixed…if ever…

4 thoughts on “Rip Mix Feed – ArcGIS Online

1. Hi Jody. Welcome back!

The ArcGIS map looks great – much better than GoogleMaps which doesn’t seem to allow you to add pictures of your own, just ones from a Google or youtube search. Are you also able to add videos to an ArcGIS map?