RipMixFeed Articulate Storyline 2

Articulate Storyline 2

https://www.articulate.com/products/storyline-why.php

I used a thirty day trial download of the Articulate Storyline 2 software trial for my RipMixFeed project. The topic I selected was the contrast of how students use the social media for personal use, compared to ways it can be used for educational purposes. This is a basic introductory presentation that would be used to talk about Educational Technology with parents or other professionals who are less familiar with technology use in schools.

My reason for choosing Articulate Storyline 2 was to become familiar with the slide and questionnaire format of the program. At our  organization, we have identified a need for self-directed professional development units that aim to help our teaching staff (and students) become familiar with particular assistive technology devices or software programs.

In the field of Assistive Technology there is a plethora of “web-based” instructional videos on the internet that we can refer to the students. However, the use of the interactive slide format allows the learner to review the video and also participate in immediate recall questions to review the material on the instructional video. In an article by Paul (2015) the author noted that students who participated in daily recall questions performed better on Standardized tests than their peers.

The tab format on the side of the software presentation allows the learner to move forward and backward easily, using the tab selection on the side. The inclusion of questions, provides immediate trial and feedback, or can also be reviewed at a later time.

For the purpose of this presentation, I have only experimented with the information delivery, the question format of the slides, and I have inserted one video. However, for use as a professional development tool, more interactive slides would both be included as well as segmented out in curricular units.

Rip Mix Feed:

Rip Portion: I have taken information from a variety of social media posts.

Mix Portion: I have used the Paint Program to alter screenshots, as well as used caricature icons to protect the anonymity of the users.

Feed: Presented using Articulate Storyline 2 in an interactive slide format.

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBHF1rcO_I1fjNvWXowVktSb2pnVzIyTWd3QVNIWldLbEFsZHkwTVB4ekJ2bjRBeDlONjg

Pros and Cons of Articulate Storyline 2:

Pros:

• Excellent written and video tutorials about the program and its features.
  • Tech support replies promptly and there is a “community of users” website with many FAQ questions.
  • The program would be an excellent tool to use for professional development or students
  • The program is very user-friendly.
  • The slide option lets the user go back and review information

Cons:

• The program is very difficult and frustrating to share, when you do not have access to an FTP server. It does not publish in an easily transferrable format.
  • The program is very expensive for a small organization (over $1,000)
  • The videos are difficult to embed, and will not work on all servers (not the image of this presentation, it may, or it may not work)
  • Users may not be able to access via the public share component of Google Drive, based on the firewalls in their schools.
  • The screen size, when including the tabs, is very small, requiring students to use their zoom features to see details.

Blackboard Report: Project Tomorrow 2014: Trends in Digital Learning: Student’s Views on Innovative Classroom Models. Retrieved From: http://images.email.blackboard.com/Web/BlackboardInc/%7Ba766c85c-9b6e-4d6b-8573-04cb3d73116d%7D_Bb_WP_TrendsinDigitalLearning_Final.pdf

Paul A. M. (2015) Building the 21st Century Learner. A New Vision for Testing. Scientific American (313, 2) 56- 61.