Visual Intelligence

This course challenged me in many ways. I didn’t know what to expect when I registered for the ETEC540 but I was sure I would be surprised. In the end, I was. Most recently I decided to continue with my idea from the Rip.Mix.Feed mind map for the final media project.

I expanded the idea of my original map and attempted to explore the entire course. This was more challenging than I originally expected, as I felt it was a challenge to pick and choose what I was going to include. How does one explain the debate over how text technologies modify reading and writing processes? I wanted to ensure I showcased my growth through the course and touch on topics that I felt were important. My only regret is I wasn’t able to make a shareable mind map where we could share ideas and trade thoughts. Although the mind map is my final project I don’t think this is the last I’ll see of this topic. The final project is my attempt to manage information overload!

Another surprise for this course happened this weekend. I had a family member, Jenny Preece, from Washington, DC visiting and I realized I missed a great opportunity. Besides a wonderful person, she is also is a researcher on the topic of computer-mediated communication, human-computer interaction, online communities, motivation for participation in social media. Her husband, Ben Shneiderman, is also well versed on this subject. Upon some Google research/’creeping’ I found out that Ben and his students developed the interface for the hyperlink. So, as this course draws to end this week, I think I’ll be having some interesting conversations in the future with them.

Looking forward to seeing your final assignments… Here is a link to mine:

::: Matt

6 thoughts on “Visual Intelligence

1. Great project Matt. You’ve put together a huge concept map; it’s amazing. I’m not able to read it very well, though, even if I zoom in (and zoom in some more). Perhaps I need to do something differently?

2. Hi Jann!

Thanks for your comments! I also was concerned by the size of the text (as it was huge on my computer) until I realized you can zoom in. To do this, click the document so it’s visible. Then hover the cursor over the bottom. Some buttons should appear. A zoom option button should be one of those. Secondly, you could always download it and play with it on your computer/tablet/phone.

Cheers, Matt

3. Great mind map. Very complex!! I particularly related to your RIP.MIX.FEED bubble (is that what is it called?) linked to Dewey’s quote “We do not learn from experiences….we learn from reflecting on experiences.” That really sums up this course for me!! Excellent summation.

4. Matt – Super job! It is amazing to see the visual of all of the ideas and readings we have accomplished this term…. I also love the picture collage, you are a talented photographer!

5. Unfortunately I can’t zoom in to read it. Is there another way you can link us to it so we are able to zoom in?

6. Great mind map Matt. I like how you’ve interconnected so many of the key ideas for this course. I think that it would be useful to use this mind map as a tool/resource for students at the beginning of ETEC 540. Do you think that it would be too overwhelming? I found that looking back to compose a “making connections” post was a bit overwhelming (I didn’t realize all that we had covered until I looked back). Did you have the same experience?

Laura