Final Post – Making Connections

This course has made me reflect on the evolving world of technologies from a new perspective. Being my first elective course in the MET program and my fourth overall course, I find that this class has provided me with a unique perspective. In the past, I am a bit ashamed to say, I have never questioned the production of technology or online platforms. I have always welcomed these new technologies with open arms (or cursed them as they make my computer or smart phone crash). This course has put the process of production of technologies under a new light – or rather, opened my eyes to them. Now, rather than passively accepting the new technologies, I find myself questioning their process of production and reasoning for it – whether I need it or that a company has successfully marketed their items making me think that I need it. Much like what Catherine states in her post “Making Connections,” I find myself wondering, “how the technologies are both produced by societal changes and are caused by societal changes” (https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540summer15/2015/08/02/making-connections/).

My main fascination with this course has been the emergence of the term communication throughout posts, comments and readings. Communication is at the forefront of these new technologies that we are experiencing in our 21st century society. Our virtual geography presented through the quick and easy access to the World Wide Web, has changed the way that we communicate and socialize with one another. It makes me reflect back to the loss and gain relationship that we explored in the first week of this course through the Cambridge Forum broadcast. I think that it is important to not be a passive observer in these new times of ICT and rather to be active participants – examining the cost benefit relationship. Looking at Assignment # 2, there were some key points that have resonated with me throughout the course. Specifically, I think to the how communication has driven the advancements of technology throughout time across several different mediums. From type to tattoos, the advancement of the technologies around us has been firmly rooted as means to communicate and express oneself. I think back to Jody’s video “Radio Ga Ga – Video Did Not Kill the Radio Star” (https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540summer15/2015/07/07/radio-ga-ga-video-did-not-kill-the-radio-star/) and the way that the emergence of radio facilitated communication across a much more broad audience. As the medium has changed and evolved over the years, the purpose of communication has remained the same. This idea was also illustrated through Rebecca’s documentary “History of the Billboard” (https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540summer15/2015/07/07/history-of-the-billboard/). We do still have billboards in our cities and towns however they are more prominently featured in a virtual setting on the World Wide Web.

As we move forward in this emerging world of technologies, I think that it is critical that we look back to the loss and gain relationship and access the errors that have occurred in the past. Looking at Willinsky’s (2002) reading, we need to be developing the skills to not only navigate through ICT but also to effectively criticise and justify the information being presented around us.

Thank you all for such a wonderful first elective class and summer semester! All of your projects, comments and posts have been extremely helpful in the process of constructing meaning throughout this course.

One thought on “Final Post – Making Connections

1. Hi Laura,

Thinking back to the Cambridge Forum broadcast, we certainly have all come a long way in our ETEC 540 journey.

Willinksy’s (2002) reading is important to remember as we move forward into our next courses or further into our careers. As we are introduced to new technologies and reflect on whether or not to incorporate them into the classroom (whether that is online or face-to-face), we need to assess if we are implementing new technologies for the sake of the technology or are we incorporating technologies to teach digital literacy? As an educator, my goal is to ensure that students are able to adapt to new technologies which will assist them in the future (both for work and for navigating society) as suggested by the New London Group. With teaching digital literacy comes the importance of teaching students to be questioning the nature of information and reflecting (or criticising and justifying) the information presented. As educators, we also have a responsibility to question the nature of technology we introduce to students. Bates’ SECTION model is good to reflect on as we choose which technologies to incorporate. This model provides criteria to consider prior to implementing new technology. So I completely agree with you and Willinsky.

In addition, looking towards the future of technology, we as educators need to evaluate how we can close the digital gap between socioeconomic groups. In Democracy and Education; The Missing Link May Be Ours, Willinksy examines the democratization of scholarly research. I would suggest this idea must be taken further and that democratization of technology needs to occur. Thoughts?

Resources:
    Bates, T. (2015, January 3). Choosing a model for media selection. Retrieved from http://www.tonybates.ca/2015/01/03/choosing-a-model-for-media-selection/

Willinsky, J. (2002). Democracy and education: The missing link may be ours. Harvard Educational Review, 72(3), 1-21. Retrieved from: http://knowledgepublic.pbworks.com/f/WillinskyHER.pdf