Week 2

This was the first week I really got into what teaching was about. What I am talking about does not necessarily have to do with the pedagogy that goes on in the classroom, but more with what a teachers other responsibilities may be.

My first week of teaching went well. There was a steady improvement through days 1-5, and because there was a guest instructor for 3 days, I had the opportunity to team teach and to really build a rapport with my students through relational communication (more heart to heart teaching). The purpose of my lessons at this juncture are to ensure students are starting to “think like athletes”. What I mean by this is that I want them to not only make decisions about their personal performance, but also how to make good decisions within the class context (I.E. helping a classmate if they are struggling to comprehend an instruction).

At this point in my practicum I am also team teaching a Fitness 11 all boys class. As weightlifting is one of my specialties, I have been able to contribute a tremendous amount of knowledge to the students thus far. The goal however is not just to develop a culture of knowledgeable weightlifters, but to continue passing this down on to younger students who may enjoy weightlifting or may need to strength train for athletic activities. To address this, I am designing a unit plan that will help make the students in the class knowledgeable with regards to coaching weightlifting and then to have those students create workout routines for their classmates and potentially their community (local middle schools specifically).

As for my other teaching responsibilities, I decided to help out with the basketball team this week. It gave me further insight into how important it is to remain professional and set an example even outside of school hours. Coaching can be long and arduous on top of an already busy teaching schedule, but the lessons taught to students here can certainly help further enhance their education experience and mold them into better adults.