Week 6

The first week back from Spring break gave me the chance to implement my inquiry question into two of my P.E. classes. I also had the chance to build on some of the topics discussed at my midpoint practicum meeting, and I got my first taste of feeling vulnerable as a teacher and asking for students assistance.

Returning to classes on the first day after a break seemed daunting at first, particularly because I am now teaching at an 80 percent load. Things were admittedly a little disorganized, but I found that keeping lessons simple and focused worked very well as students got used to being back in the classroom environment. As the week progressed I began to implement my inquiry research as I had done quite a lot of fine tuning over spring break. Although I am not finished implementing my proposed mobile applications, there are already some interesting trends developing, and on the surface it definitely seems that students may be benefiting.

One of the areas that I feel I need to build on with regards to this practicum is ensuring that I have some versatility with regards to my teaching. Up to this point I have taught strictly P.E. and fitness and my goal is to at least gain some experience in the classroom setting prior to the end of my practicum. This week I spent some time with the EAL Planning 9/10 instructor and began talking about a possible unit that I may be able to teach before my practicum ends. I also plan on attending some after school Golf lessons to familiarize myself with some of the coaching and help where needed.

Finally, I want to speak to my first experience I have had at feeling vulnerable as a teacher. On Thursday when playing intramural handball with students, I partially dislocated my right shoulder. This can be a physically uncomfortable situation for most people, but add in the fact that I am teaching P.E. and this could prove to be an extremely challenging situation. The following day my arm had swollen to a point where I could not move it at all, making it impossible to write on a white board or demonstrate and physical movements that required my dominant arm. Personally this was challenging as I take pride in leading my class and providing them with good visual demonstrations. For the day my Grade 10 class would be learning the full back swing in their Golf unit, and I knew that I would not be able to personally demonstrate the technique or many of the coaching cues. At the start of the class I spoke to my students and asked them to help me through the lesson by actively volunteering for demonstrations and paying careful attention when their peers were teaching them. I was happily surprised at how cooperative the class was and it really provided me with a deeper trust of my students. This experience has certainly provided me with the perspective that it can be OK to at times lean on your students to improve a lesson and make that lesson more interactive.