Week 8,9,10

Over the last 3 weeks I have been teaching at a full course load and to further develop as a teacher I coordinated with my school advisor to teach a grade 10 ELL planning class. I also completed my inquiry research and watched my grade 11/12 fitness students lead their own class.

At first the prospect of teaching and ELL class was quite intimidating, and I found myself committing a tremendous amount of time toward planning. This was largely because I had never taught a planning class before, never mind an ELL class. I designed a number of worksheets and power points with plenty of visuals. I also made sure to include collaboration time in class as students English ranged quite vastly in terms of proficiency. My goal for my students was to complete a quality resume, cover letter, and a personal interview with me (for a potential imaginary job position). The class was a tremendous experience, and I quickly connected with my students (some of whom were in my P.E. Classes). Every student bought into the importance of career planning and the assignments improved each and every time a draft was handed in. The interviews were for the majority very well done considering the language barrier and every student left the class knowing their native language was in fact a positive rather than a negative for landing a potential job. Overall the experience was exceptionally positive for myself and I hope it was for my students as well.

During my final three weeks I also collected the observations I needed to complete my inquiry research. I was quite interested at the results. More information can be found in the “inquiry” link

Lastly, I had been working with my senior fitness (all boys) class on different types of training and program design as a precursor to them leading their own class. I was hesitant at first as this is usually something taught at the college or university level but the boys exceeded expectations. The lessons they designed and executed were thoughtful and original with a specific training goal in mind. The most prolific and personally what I deem to be the most important aspect of these lessons was watching students that are usually quiet and reserved come out of their shells and lead an entire class. The bravery these boys displayed is something that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives and the memory will undoubtedly serve as a tool in many future endeavors.

My practicum was a tremendous experience. My advisors were progressive and nurturing and Pinetree Secondary was a school I was proud to be associated with.