The Epilogue – Self-assessment

As the last assignment in English 301, it is fitting I write this final self-reflection. The course has had some overlap with previous courses I have taken, especially the Cooperative Education prep course at North Island College. Other assignments were fairly new to me and required more research and learning. After being away from school for twenty years, I was curious if my learning process or approach had changed. Unfortunately my style of completing assignments the day they are due has not changed. But I feel this is now due to having a family and working full-time rather than procrastination. I always made the deadlines, and rarely felt pressured. Most of my assignments were well thought out and I took time early in the week to draft the assignment, thought about it for a few days and then edited and wrote the final copy on the due date. This was a little challenging in unit three when a number of assignments were due at the same time. On the other hand my editing skills, both self and peer, have improved since I was last at school. I think this is due to increased confidence in my work.

My attention to detail, ability to follow directions, and infer meaning will help me in both my professional and personal life in the future. As an accountant there are set rules to follow. This matches my personality and learning style well. I do well in situations with a right and wrong answer. I always found Humanities courses more challenging because they were more ambiguous. I also believe that my ability to express my self professionally in a written manner will be very helpful in my future career as an accountant.