Revised Formal Report Proposal and Progress Report with Surveys

The formal report proposal was a baby step towards creating the full document. Approaching the assignment in this manner made it seem less onerous. This report became the major project for the term and a focus for subsequent units. The formal report involved self-reflection, research, surveying, interviewing and drawing conclusions to present recommendations.

To:                       Dr. Erika Paterson – Professor English 301

From:                  Glen Kavaliunas – author of proposal

Date:                   June 19, 2020

Subject:              Proposal for moving to a tobacco free campus at North Island College (N.I.C.) to minimize the impact of second-hand smoke on the                                 children at Beaufort Children’s Society Daycare facility, and N.I.C. students.

Introduction

Over the past four years I have observed, both as a student of N.I.C. and as a parent of a child in the Beaufort Daycare facility, that the designated smoking area for students from the Tyee building at N.I.C. is dangerously close to the daycare’s outdoor play space. This same designated smoking area is also directly outside of the bookstore and the cafeteria. Throughout campus there is a designated smoking area outside of every main entrance. While they are the legally designated distance from the entrances, it only takes a little wind to carry to smoke to the doorway.

Statement of Problem

Having a designated smoking area adjacent to the play area of children ages twelve months to three years old is a major health concern. The young lungs of the children are exposed to second-hand smoke daily. On many occasions the staff of Beaufort Children’s Society have complained about the smoke blowing over to the play yard, but nothing has been done.

A second related problem is this same designated smoking area for the Tyee building forces any student who needs to buy textbooks or food to walk through the smoke to get to their destination. This is consistent across campus at the main entrance of all buildings.

With the health-related conditions and problems associated with the use of Tobacco (including smoking, chewing and vaping), it is irresponsible for a college to support this unhealthy habit in their students. By having a designated smoking area, N.I.C. is supporting the exposure of innocent children to this behavior, as well as second-hand smoke. Other college students are also being exposed to second-hand smoke. A student should not have to choose between inhaling second-hand smoke and an education.

Proposed Audience

Th audience for my formal proposal will be Amanda Peters – Executive Coordinator of Beaufort Children’s Society, Laurie Tulloch – Faculty Chair – Department of Early Childhood Care, John Bowman – president of North Island College, and Echo Hope – Comox Valley Director of North Island College Student Union. These individuals represent the groups who can make the decision to become a tobacco free campus. Amanda Peters and Laurie Tulloch have specific interest in the Beaufort Children’s Society Daycare facility’s proximity to the smoking areas. John Bowman, as president of N.I.C has final say in all matters regarding N.I.C. Comox Valley campus and student health. Echo Hope is the student representative at N.I.C and would be essential in delivering the message to students and gathering student support.

Proposed Solution

One possible solution would be to move the smoking area to the other side of building and away from the main entrance. This would mean smoking, or inhaling second-hand smoke, would once again be a choice for students. Moving the designated smoking area away from the daycare would also reduce the children’s exposure to second-hand smoke.

Although this would be an improvement, the real solution would be for North Island College to become a tobacco free campus.

Scope

To assess the feasibility of moving to a smoke free college campus, the following questions will guide my research:

• What are the rights of non-smoking students and their unwelcome exposure to second-hand smoke?
  • What responsibility does N.I.C. have for the healthy and safety of its students?
  • How does N.I.C.’s support of the unhealthy habit associated with tobacco use affect students?
  • What smoking cessation programs are available to N.I.C. students?
  • How does the N.I.C. student society medical coverage support smoking cessation?
  • How does second-hand smoke affect young children below the age of three year?
  • How can a smoke free campus help to reduce tobacco use among N.I.C. students?
  • How often do students use tobacco due to peer pressure or to fit in with peers?
  • How have other campuses gone smoke free?
  • What has been the feedback from students at other campuses that have gone smoke free?

Methods

My primary data sources will include consultations with Amanda Peters – Executive Coordinator of Beaufort Children’s Society, Laurie Tulloch – Faculty Chair – Department of Early Childhood Care, John Bowman – president of North Island College, and Echo Hope – Comox Valley Director of North Island College Student Union. I will also explore the appetite for North Island College to become a tobacco free campus, as the smoke is not health for any student. I will round out my primary research with objective observations and surveys to current North Island College students.

Secondary sources will include publications on the effects of second-hand smoke on young children, and a review of North Island College’s smoking policy. I will also research the Tobacco Free Campus movement.

My Qualifications

As a student at North Island College and a parent of a child at Beaufort Child Care facility, I have seen the issue from both perspectives. I am a non-smoker who has all my classes in the Tyee building, and I do not appreciate being forced to inhale second-hand smoke in order to attend my classes. More challenging for me personally is exposing my young daughter to second-hand smoke in her outdoor play area at daycare and having her witness this unhealthy activity of college students.

Conclusion

Clearly, action is needed both for the safety of the children attending Beaufort Children Society and for the health of my fellow students at N.I.C. By addressing the issue with students, North Island College staff, and Beaufort Children Society staff I can determine the feasibility of moving to a tobacco free campus. With your approval I will begin research at once.

The progress report made students dive deeper into their topic and really identify their audience (by name and position) as well as creating a timeline for the rest of the work needed to prepare the final draft. With the formal proposal, time management was a key skill throughout. Skillful interviews and surveys were also essential in order to draw out the vital information that would guide the recommendations in the formal proposal.

MEMORANDUM

To:                Dr. Erika Paterson, Professor English 301 – UBC

From:           Glen Kavaliunas, Student English 301 – UBC

Date:            July 9, 2020

Subject:       Formal Report Progress Report

The inquiry into the Comox Valley Campus of North Island College becoming a tobacco free campus in underway. As called for in the assignment 2:3 instructions, a progress report detailing the key factors and advancement of the project has been prepared for review. Any advice concerning the scope and procedure of the inquiry is welcomed.

Audience: The formal report will be presented to the Dean of North Island College – Comox Valley campus, as well as the head of the Student Society, and other interested stakeholders. All these groups are responsible for and value the health of students and staff at North Island College. Additionally, the report will be shared with the Executive director of Beaufort Children’s Society and the faculty chair of the Department of Early Child Education. These two groups have a vested interest in the location of at least one smoking area and the impact of the children in care at Beaufort Children’s Society. Specific audience members include:

• John Bowman – President of North Island College – Comox Valley
  • Echo Hope – Comox Valley Director of North Island College Student Union
  • Amanda Peters – Executive Coordinator of Beaufort Children’s Society
  • Laurie Tulloch – Faculty Chair – Department of Early Childhood Care

Purpose: The objective of the report is to highlight the health risk posed to students and staff, as well as the children at Beaufort Childcare Society, through the exposure to second-hand smoke. The location of the current designated smoking areas is the main issue. The smoking areas are the legal distance from the entrance to buildings, but being at the front entrances to buildings, students and staff must walk through the smoke to go to class, the bookstore or the cafeteria. The designated smoking areas are currently roofed structures, which hold the smoke in. If there is a slight wind, the smoke carries outside of the designated smoking area.

This report and its findings are timely as North Island College Comox Valley campus is in the planning phase of a large expansion which could see an increase in tobacco use. This would also be an ideal time to move towards a tobacco free campus.

Significance: The health and welfare of students, staff and the infants and toddlers at Beaufort Children’s Center is of utmost importance. Specifically, the negative health impacts of first and second-hand smoke. Although North Island College has made some steps toward reducing exposure to second-hand smoke on campus, the designated smoking areas do little to protect to non-smokers. Some students start using tobacco products to make friends and others continue out of convenience, yet all students and staff are exposed to it as a result. Investigating the use of tobacco on campus and the impact on students is vital, especially with the increase in vaping and the unknown health results.

Research Plan:

• Distribute surveys to students and staff at North Island College (survey enclosed). This will be a sampling as it is a very large population. As there are currently no face-to-face classes and all staff are working from home, this will be an electronic survey.
  • Distribute surveys to staff and parents at Beaufort Children’s Society specifically related to the Tyee building designated smoking area.
  • Interview Echo Hope from North Island College Student Society as she is the representative for the students. Seek support for smoking cessation resources and services.
  • Interview President John Bowman about the current tobacco policy and steps taken towards a tobacco free campus policy. Inquire how the current designated smoking areas were chosen. Also, the impact on staff. Seek support for smoking cessation resources and services.
  • Research other Canadian College campuses that have gone tobacco free. What steps did they take? What were the obstacles? – Secondary sources

Writing Schedule:

• Compose surveys and interview questions- done
  • Research other Canadian Campuses that have gone tobacco free and how have they done it – July 13, 2020
  • Schedule interview with Echo Hope – Comox Valley Director of North Island Student Society – July 15, 2020
  • Schedule interview with John Bowman – President of North Island College – July 15, 2020
  • Distribute surveys to staff and students at North Island College – July 17, 2020
  • Distribute survey to staff and parents of Beaufort Children’s Society – July 17, 2020
  • Analyze data from surveys and interviews – July 20, 2020
  • Present recommendations to audience- July 24, 2020

Thank you for reviewing the progress of this project. I look forward to your feedback.

Enclosures:

Survey for staff and students of North Island College: https://forms.gle/LNoP2AkCK7HjWYP

Survey for Staff and Parents of Beaufort Children’s Society: https://forms.gle/nSFSom6sKD4kQ49G9

Interview Questions: Eng 301 – Interview Questions – Glen Kavaliunas

Secondary data:

Canadian Cancer Society. (2018, September 18). University and College 100% Smoke-Free Campuses in Canada: National Status Report.  https://www.cancer.ca/~/media/cancer.ca/CW/for%20media/Media%20releases/2018/University-college-100-percent-smoke-free-campus-national-report-2018-09-14.pdf?la=en

Non-Smokers’ Rights Association and the Smoking and Health Action Foundation. (2011). Tobacco Free Campus Guide. https://nsra-adnf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tobacco_free_campus_guide_web_finalb.pdf

Ontario’s Tobacco Control Area Networks. (2019). Smoke Free Campuses. Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit. https://smokefreecampus.ca/