Reviewers

All peer reviewers have completed the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology workshop: “Developing Your Skills as a Peer Reviewer: Introductory Workshop” and have completed an Isntructional Skills Workshop (ISW).

For a full description of the formative peer review process, please read the Peer Review Process section of our website.

When you email a reviewer for a request, please indicate:

• The type of peer review you would like (classroom observation, review of assignments or syllabi or other material, PBL review, other)
  • A brief statement of your goal for peer review
  • A time range within which you are hoping to be peer reviewed
  • Your contact information

List of peer reviewers

• Genevieve Breau (PhD Candidate, Interdisciplinary Oncology, Faculty of Medicine)
  • Tim Came (Graduate Student Facilitator – Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology)
  • Dhaneesh Kumar (4th Year Undergraduate, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy)

Additional information on reviewers:

• Genevieve Breau , PhD Candidate, Interdisciplinary Oncology, Faculty of Medicine

Currently, I am a PhD candidate in the Interdisciplinary Oncology Program in the Faculty of Medicine at UBC. All of my teaching assistant experience during my PhD is in the School of Nursing. I am currently the teaching assistant for NURS 552, which is the research methods course for students in the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program, and have also been the teaching assistant for NURS 549, the advanced statistics course for MSN students. I am also the Senior TA for the School of Nursing: I coordinate the ongoing TA training for the School of Nursing, and act in a mentorship role. My background is in the health professions: my MA is in Health Promotion, and my BSc. (Hons) is in Neuroscience, both from Dalhousie University. In addition, during my MA studies I was a Problem-Based Learning Tutor for the Dalhousie College of Pharmacy, and the Study Skills Coach for health professional students within the Studying for Success Program. Thus, I am well qualified to provide assessments for classes in the health sciences , life sciences, and social sciences. I am able to provide a peer review of classroom and tutorial teaching: the majority of my experience is with small seminar classes (6-20 students). I am also able to provide feedback on curriculum development and developing assessments. Finally, I have experience with online courses using Connect, thus I am able to give feedback in these areas.

Email: genevieve.breau@alumni.ubc.ca; please write “GPRT” in the subject line.

• Tim Came, Graduate Student Facilitator at the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology

My experience includes teaching small (6-30 student) first- and second-year undergraduate classes in my discipline (political science) and working with graduate students on a range of teaching-related skills as a CTLT facilitator. In nine years with CTLT, I have enjoyed opportunities to work with (and learn from) graduate students from a wide range of disciplines in workshops on specific skills such as lesson planning, leading discussions, and assessment, and in the Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW). Part of my role as an ISW facilitator has been working one-on-one with participants to help them to develop their ability to reflect on their own experience of their teaching as a source of valuable insights. While I will be prepared to provide feedback as a peer reviewer, I will also encourage you to reflect on your teaching practice. I am available to review classroom teaching (including tutorials) and teaching materials such as syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, etc. If you contact me to discuss working together on a review of your teaching, please include the standard information (what you would like reviewed, when, and what you hope to gain from the peer review process), any experience that you have had reviewing teaching or having your teaching reviewed, and any experience with the ISW. Thank you.

Email: tcame@alumni.sfu.ca

• Oralia Gómez-Ramírez, PhD Candidate, Department of Anthropology

I have taught a third-year undergraduate ethnographic seminar in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Simon Fraser University, and the International Teaching Assistants and Graduate Students (ITA) Program in the Centre for Intercultural Communication at the University of British Columbia. Additionally, I have facilitated workshops and have extensive TA experience in first-, third-, and fourth-year undergraduate courses in the fields of anthropology, sociology/family studies, and gender/sexuality/women’s studies. I am keen on applying anti-racist and feminist principles to promote social change from within the classroom. My preferred peer review activities include reviewing classroom teaching practices and lesson plans.

Email: oraliagr@alumni.ubc.ca; please write “GPRT” in the subject line.

• Dhaneesh Kumar, 4th Year Undergraduate TA, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy.

I have been a TA for a couple of years now, with my most recent stint as a TA for the first-year undergraduate physics laboratories with class sizes of approximately 40 students each. In addition to this, I have had various teaching opportunities outside the university to further bolster my teaching experiences. These include my teaching as a Scoutmaster as well as a Red Cross CPR Instructor. These enable me to have the awareness and the understanding of the different teaching practices that exist and their effect on student learning. Being involved in the Physics and Astronomy Education Research (PHASER) Group since 2013 has further allowed me to become more adept at looking at the various aspects that help create a conducive learning environment. Aspects such an effective pedagogy as well as an understanding of student epistemology just to name a few. I am also involved in developing a complementary TA training to further reinforce the various support structures in place in the Physics department for TAs to teach more effectively. One such support structure, of which I am also involved in this year, is the TA Mentorship program. As a mentor TA, I review and offer feedback to newer TAs in the department on how they can improve their teaching in physics classrooms. These experiences and opportunities enable me to be more familiar with the qualities and traits that an effective instructor should possess and how a person may then strive to be such an effective instructor.

Email: dhaneeshkumar@outlook.com; please write “GPRT” in the subject line.

• Philippe Sabella Garnier, PhD Candidate Dept. of Physics.

I have been a teaching assistant for various physics courses at UBC since 2011. This has given me teaching experience in different contexts. I have led labs and worksheet-based tutorials for groups of about 50 first-year non-physics students as well as smaller, less formal help sessions for second and third-year physics students. In addition to this, I have provided support for instructors in larger class settings: lectures for about 200 first-year students and tutorials for about 150 second-year students. I have been a TA for groups of 20 to 30 Vantage College students. This proved to be an entirely different challenge as the focus was less on having students understand the technicalities of the material and more on communicating efficiently with them despite language barriers and overcoming cultural barriers to create an effective learning environment. I’ve also been involved in the training of new teaching assistants in my department in various capacities. I started by being a mentor and peer reviewer for new graduate student TAs, observing and providing feedback to mentees through a program similar to this one that exists in the Physics and Astronomy department. Since 2014, I coordinate the team of mentors in our department and help run the 8-hour TA training workshop all new graduate students attend before teaching. These activities have made me examine more actively my own teaching and made me accustomed to reflecting more systematically on the teaching of others.

Email: psabella@phas.ubc.ca; please write “GPRT” in the subject line.

• Grace Truong, Dept. of Psychology.

Over the course of 3.5 years as a graduate student, I have experience teaching at all levels of psychology, from first year intro classes to graduate-level statistics seminars. These courses have ranged in size from 8 to 270 students and have included in-class as well as lab-based teaching components. For a second year class on research methods, I facilitated my students’ brainstorming sessions for research ideas, assessed their presentation skills and research designs, managed their experiment sessions, taught them how to use Microsoft Excel for data analysis, and discussed with them the main parts of the American Psychological Association (APA)-style format. For a third year class on sensory systems, I prepared a series of in-class group activities for the chapter on psychophysical perception. For both of the graduate-level statistics courses that I have TA’d, I have been the lab co-instructor for two years. In this role, I have co-created the lab outline, selected required readings, designed and conducted in-lab activities, crafted assignments and tests, led exam review sessions, and brought in outside speakers to discuss the importance of statistics skills in research and the job market. As part of my professional development in the teaching field, I have participated in a number of teaching-related workshops on instructional skills, research assignment design, assessment, teaching assistant mentoring, and peer review of teaching. Beyond the classroom, I have volunteered with Let’s Talk Science to promote science education through a variety of programs like the Teacher Partnership Program, All Science Challenge, and Brain Bee.

Email: gracet@psych.ubc.ca; please write “GPRT” in the subject line.