International Students: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) changes

On February 14, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) published new immigration regulations for international students. The changes are due to take effect June 1, 2014.  

What is changing?

Changes to study permit

  1. You will be required to enroll, remain enrolled until completion of your studies, and actively pursue studies if you want to remain in Canada on a study permit. The June 1st changes will not require you to study full-time.
  2. Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies (even before your study permit expiry date) or on the expiry date of your study permit.
  3. CIC may request that you show you are complying with conditions of your study permit. This may be a random assessment or due to specific concerns about your case.
  4. If your study permit expires and you have not applied for a new one, you will be able to restore it only if you met the conditions of your study permit.
  5. People who do not comply with the conditions of their study permit may be asked to leave Canada and must not return for a year without written permission.
  6. If you originally attend UBC for one term only (e.g., exchange and visiting students), want to extend your studies and do not have a study permit, you will be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada.

Working off-campus

  1. You will be able to work off campus (without a work permit) if you have a study permit AND are enrolled in a program of 6 months or more that leads to a UBC degree, diploma or certificate AND are enrolled as a full time student.
    Note: Off-campus work permits will no longer be required and the six-month waiting period for off-campus work will be removed.
  2. Similar to the current regulations, if you are eligible to work off campus (see above), you will be able to:
  • work off campus up to 20 hours per week during regular terms and full time during regular school breaks and
  • work full time without a work permit if you completed your program of study and applied for a work permit before your study permit expired.

Other work options

  1. Co-op work permits will not change for UBC students.
  2. On-campus work permission will not change for UBC students.

Reporting to CIC

UBC will be required to report to CIC on your enrolment twice a year.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Published on Monday, March 03, 2014.

Full details about these changes are located at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *