My Internet History

When I was eleven years old, I became a citizen of the internet. I joined the children’s website Neopets, a mix of virtual animal husbandry and social networking for tweens. Through the Neopets discussion boards, I got my first sense of how to participate in an online conversation. I was a nerdy, bookish kid without a lot of friends, and the opportunity to connect with people through writing really helped me develop socially. I think one of the best (and worst!) parts of being online is the opportunity for anonymity. In my case, the ability to be heard without the social pressure of appearances was a relief.

These conversations eventually moved to AIM, and gradually I became involved with Myspace, then Facebook. Today I use a variety of social media tools and spend a good deal of time online. I have a Facebook and an Instagram that I use actively but keep fairly private. My family and many of my friends are long distance, so I use these tools to stay in touch. I’ve recently joined Snapchat for the same reasons. I follow a lot of Tumblr blogs, but I don’t post there myself. I use those blogs more for entertainment/keeping up to date, which is also how I use Twitter.

One of my most frequented websites is Metafilter, a community blog where users share links and discuss them, as well as ask and answer questions, discuss television shows and movies, and share projects. It’s technically “members only” – there is a one time fee of $5 to set up an account – and this bar keeps many of the spammers at bay. It’s also carefully and kindly moderated, which serves to elevate the general level of discussion. It’s a little like Reddit’s quieter, wiser cousin. Any Mefites out there?

I certainly have some ambivalence about social media, its role in my life or in others’ lives, and my own attachment to it. I look forward to exploring this ambivalence in this class. But in general, I think that we all need more, not fewer, ways to connect with each other and social media can provide important connections that may not otherwise be available.