About Me

10386863_10152460741367905_8119162080838086745_n

Hi! My name is Casey and I am in my first year at UT Austin’s School of Information. My special interests are in preservation, conservation, and reference. I previously attended Lewis & Clark College in Portland, OR where I received my BA in English Literature and fell in love with archives. I worked as an archival assistant at Lewis & Clark’s Special Collections and after graduating I helped co-curate, design, and install an exhibit on transportation and art in interwar Britain. I enjoy the intersection of technological advancement and historical depth that the field of information science provides. I currently work as a museum technician at the LBJ Presidential Library here in Austin.

In my free time I like to cook, read, write poetry, and watch a frankly unhealthy amount of television.

1. Hi Casey! What sort of TV do you like? I just finished binge-watching Happy Valley — so good, if you like gritty British police dramas.

1. I do! Another in that theme is Broadchurch – David Tennant is a dream. I watch a pretty broad variety, but I especially like family dramas, witty sitcoms, and really anything with long story arcs. I actually had/have a podcast about gender and sexuality in TV: http://screenburn.castmate.fm/ or free on iTunes!

1. That is one of the best things about being in Canada is the Netflix access to British programming. I’m always so amazed when I go across the border and get the different titles. Happy Valley was devastatingly good.

Also, I’ve heard Austin is lovely, was there anything specific that drew you from the Pacific Northwest (I’m from Washington) to Texas? Besides the program.

1. It was really mostly the program! I also heard good things about the city, specifically that it had a lot in common with Portland. I had never visited before I moved. Mostly I was drawn to the collections at the , and the combination of tech-focus and emphasis on preservation/conservation at the iSchool. I miss Portland and the Pacific Northwest a lot, but Texas has its own charms.