Lesson 1.3- I Have a Great Story to Tell You…

The world as we know it used to be a desert. The land was quite bare and flat, thanks to wind erosion. Evidence of past life littered the earth, but it had all been destroyed. Despite its appearance, the world was a peaceful and quiet place. But not for long.

There were several hundred people that survived a mass extinction. Undoubtedly, they were the strongest of the strongest, brightest of the brightest, smartest of the smartest. They learned from the past by not making the same mistakes as their ancestors. They also used their abilities and knowledge to make the world into a place where everyone strived for good. This would be passed down to future generations.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2009/nov/05/hedgehog-bonfire-night

Every so often, the people would gather around a bonfire for meetings. Everyone always looked forward to this, as food and drink were shared. They contributed ideas and stories. Laughter and smiles were always plentiful. It was all in good nature.

However, something peculiar happened. It was a clear and starry night. The wind was especially strong, which made the gathering rather dusty. Among the people, a small, usually quiet child broke their silence. This child was born into the post-extinction era with no experience of the past life. They were only 4 or 5 years old. As we all know, children’s imaginations can run wild. Without any thought, the child told everyone a story in which was full of evils.

It was a crowd stunner. Everyone was speechless. Nobody understood where it came from. What happened? Where did that come from? But it was too late. A strong gust of wind picked up the story. There was no way of getting it back. The wind carried the story with the sand, which blinded everyone’s eyes.

My experience

Initially, I struggled with grasping the instructions of this week’s assignment. Retelling somebody else’s story and adding my own details to it? How? It was something I’ve never done before, not on a conscious level, anyways. I think many people can agree that this is rarely encouraged in academia, if ever. I felt like I was asking a stupid question when I asked for clarification over Facebook! It also took me quite a bit of time to come up with some ideas. Even then, I found myself drawing inspiration from written stories that I’ve read. Incase you can’t tell, I have a thing for young adult/dystopian fiction.

I realized that I was careful in planning out the details of my story before telling it to my brother. In other words, I really had to think before I spoke. I was more conscious about how certain details (ie: biological sex) can influence the audience without the storyteller realizing it. That was why I avoided using any names and steered away from distinguishing the sexes. Like Leslie Silko’s story of how evil came into the world, I tried to make the characters as neutral as possible. By doing so, everyone can relate and fit into the story, and not just certain groups.

Overall, this peculiar assignment has made me be more vigilant about the things I speak and write. This morning, I came across a CBC News article about the Mathias Colomb Cree Nation chief in Manitoba not accepting an apology over a racist travel brochure. Brent Fleck, co-owner of the Laurie River Lodge said that “after reading the paragraph in my trip planning guide I have to agree that, despite the fact that it was not intended to offend anyone, it could be taken in that context” (CBC News, “Chief Rejects Fishing Lodge Owner’s Apology Over Racist Brochure”). This only reinforces how we should all be careful about the types of stories we tell! “After all, for once a story is told, it cannot be called back. Once told, it is loose in the world” (King 10).

“Chief Rejects Fishing Lodge Owner’s Apology Over Racist Brochure.” Manitoba- CBC News. CBC News, 29 May 2014. Web. 29 May 2014.

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Toronto: House of Anansi Press, 2003. Print.

Turner, Graham. “Bonfire”. Photograph. “How to Avoid a Spike in Hedgehog Deaths on Bonfire Night.” theguardian.com, n.d. Web. 29 May 2014.

« »