Reflection..

Although the assigned marketing plan was stressful, but I thought it was really exciting and entertaining. Throughout this course, I gained and learned many things that are precious to me now. First of all, I made good friends with my fellow teammates. Although we suffered together, but we had good times as we had many group dinners, enjoyed each time when we finished an assignment, and learned more about each other. Another big thing that I learned is how to use iMovie, we youtubed many videos on how to trim, insert, use transitions etc as a team. We sat together for a very long time (20+ hours) just to agree on every decision we made. Surprisingly our group had no negative conflict, when we have different ideas; we just talk it out and see which idea works the best.

But there were a few things that we could have improved to become a better team:

–          Be on time for meetings. Although everyone is very busy, but being at the meeting on time can save everybody’s time.

–          Split more work to individuals. Although our assignment should have the same type of writing, working together as 5 all the time is very time consuming, and we could save more time by doing more individual work.

–          Focus slightly more. When we had to finish something, we would work hard and fast for it, but in-between, there was always friendly chatting between the teammates. This is somewhat inevitable as we became close friends.

Out of all our assignments, I think our video project was the most successful. After we finished the project, we were even proud of it, I think that the 20+ hrs from our team was worth it. I’m glad I took this course.

Thanks to all my group members, and thanks to Tamar Milne for being such a nice teacher 😀

New Innovation, New Success-TidePods

As everyone knows, using laundry detergent is annoying and tiring, as you always search for the correct amount of detergent to pour in for your cloths. Statistically we pour more than what we need, and that contributes to the detergent companies’ profit. Tide has released a new solution- Tide Pod.

In an external blog by Dale Buss, he suggests that the Tide Pod is killing the laundry detergent industry. I agree with that, since when the product hit the market, competitors saw a 2% decrease in laundry detergent sales in just 12 months. From what is going on, Pods have attracted many consumers due to its convenience.

The Tide Pod brought a lot of benefits to consumers compared to the traditional detergents. In each Pod, there is a pre-measured amount of detergent in each package, so people won’t overuse the amount of detergent, consequently that is better for the environment. Not only that, it is impossible to spill anything from the pod, compared to the original liquid/ solid detergents. Another benefit would be that the pod is extremely easy to use; a consumer only has to throw the pod with the laundry and turn the switch on. The pods are very portable as well, their size is small and people can carry few if they needed to do laundry elsewhere, compared to a big and heavy bottle.

This great innovation took “eight years, 450 product sketches, 6,000 consumer tests and hundreds of millions of dollars” and it has shown its benefits to consumers. This product will definitely cause consumers move from traditional detergents to Tide Pod, which will generate much profit for P&G, and other companies will lose market share due to this greatly positioned and advertised product.

other sources: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2013/03/tide-pods-are-hurting-some-but-not-pg.html

How medical science got it exactly wrong on childhood food allergies

Back in the days, kids having allergies wasn’t a common thing, but today, many children have allergies to peanuts, eggs or milk. According to the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, the prevalence of children under the age of 18 afflicted with food allergies increased by 18% from 1997 to 2007. For some food allergies, the increase has been even steeper. And a Canadian study about peanut allergies conducted on Montreal families showed an increase from 1.34% in the 2000-2002 period to 1.62% prevalence in the 2005-2007 period. After reading this article, I reflected on many parents’ action that might have caused the increase number in allergic children.

In the 1990s, as allergies are becoming more prevalent, pediatricians and other experts responded by counseling parents to delay the introduction of more allergenic foods. But in fact, studies have shown “that delayed introduction may provide no benefit and may actually make things worse”. So what parents were doing is that they only allow their children consumer eggs/ milk/ peanuts after a certain age, and that has caused a higher rate of allergies. What was interesting about the article was that our children’s immune systems may consider foods that weren’t exposed in the first year of life as a contaminant.

These actions has narrowed some peoples’ food choice and made them cautious on eating. This also hurts the economy, as less people can intake these diary or nut products, and those country who produce them in a vast quantity might suffer. A good recommendation for parents to do is to introduce the full complement of a family’s diet as soon as it’s practical, so the immune system won’t act in a negative way. I think people we’ve just over- medicalized food introduction over the years.

Windows XP’s new future- Windows 8

Without noticing, time passed by very fast. I still have vivid memories of Microsoft releasing Windows XP, and It being the best OS system, even arguably better than Windows Vista. Today I read an article that says that Microsoft XP only has one year left of support. With that in mind, many small and medium-sized companies still operate in Windows XP, as it’s very stable. According to statistics from Analytics Company Net Applications, 39% of all personal computers, and 42% of all Windows PCs, ran XP last month.

To keep their OS users, Microsoft kicked off a new promotion aimed at Windows XP customers, trying to move them to Windows 8. But Microsoft will face a tough job as it tries to push customers off Windows XP. The current business companies which uses Windows can get a 15% discount, Microsoft said on a promotional website. On its Open License website, Microsoft quoted $188 for each Windows 8 Pro license, and $373 for each Office 2013 Standard license, for a
total of $561. The 15% discount would lower each Windows-Office combo by $84 to $477.

This is a great idea from Microsoft, by giving a discount for upgrading the operating system; people will have more incentive to purchase Windows 8. But what needs to be considered is that Windows 8 requires a lot more hardware specifications that the old computers don’t support. So the companies will probably need to purchase new computers that can possibly support the OS. And what can be good is that a combination discounts for bulk purchasing Windows 8 and new computers, and that could bring a lot of more purchasing for Microsoft and the hardware company.

Comments on Vitaminwater — “Healthy” Beverage in Name”

When I was reading through Ma Xin’s blogs, I thought that his ethical post about the Vitamin Water was interesting. I agreed to his point and also found it unethical to state a product healthy while it being as bad as other sugary product, in your case, Coke. It makes sense to me for companies trying to cover their product’s weakness, but have they considered their consumers’ feelings? They use the term “Vitamin Water” to make people think that it’s only a bottle of water that contains vitamins while tasting really good. But in the real case, each serving contains 125g of calories and 32.5g of sugar in total, which is equivalent to a half slice of cheese pizza. I was actually surprised about this.

This asymmetric information brings benefits to the company, but harms the people who purchase this product, as they expected it to be a healthy product. But the asymmetric information may not necessarily be caused by hidden information from the company, but is more likely from the lack of professional knowledge of customers (which in this case: consumers don’t read the nutrition facts).

I think that the government should take more responsibility and make more strict legislation. A possible way for government to do is to require all food companies write down the significant weakness of their products in the obvious place. It’s hard to implement, but it has applied to some products such as cigarettes.

Child Labour in Primark’s suppliers

A clothing firm in UK, Primark, sells a mixture of low prices and accessible fashion for different age groups, and has been very successful in recent years. But recently, Primark has discovered that 3 of their Indian suppliers have been using child labour in their factories.  Children were doing embroidery and sequin work was paid unfairly. Primark has taken this very seriously, and responded immediately by firing these suppliers.

As current consumers have more moral and ethics , they are “increasingly demanding companies to produce their products in an ethical manner”. Valuing the working conditions and work wages of workers. And a situation like this would affect Primark’s sales and revenue. But Primark has responded to the public by saying that “under no circumstances would Primark ever knowingly permit such activities”, and as mentioned above, they have fired these firms.

In my opinion, it is hard to control and make sure the suppliers are not exploiting workers, especially when they are in Asia or India. It might even cost a lot more to put in random checks in all their factories. So having an ethical behaviour might be very costly. Not only that, if child labor is prohibited in these factories, the suppliers would maybe even charge more money to account for the cheap labour children can bring. On the other hand, if the company has always implemented ethical behaviours, consumers would give positive support and buy their products, therefore increasing revenue. Moreover, the employees working would also be motivated and excited to work. And there might be new sources of finance, such as ethical investors, or even sponsorships. Ethical behaviour have both positive and negative effects for a company, but it should be implemented for human morals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7456897.stm

External Blog: “Product testing” by consumers in China

From the external blog post: The Products Chinese Consumer Wants, I found many useful information on the consumers’ behaviour and preferences. Unsurprisingly, China’s consumer goods market expanded rapidly over the past 20 years. The reason to that is that the increasing  number of first-time buyers, who are desperate and eager to buy goods and services that were previously unavailable or unaffordable. With so many new products in the market, the consumers don’t know what to purchase, therefore they try new products.

Interestingly, in 2010, 20% of China’s urban consumer spent more money than they did the previous year because they were first-time buyers; but that number dropped to just 5% in 2011, since the first-time buyers have bought some items that  they wanted already.

In the past few years, there wasn’t enough(alot of) fresh milk that could be supplied to the majority of households. But recently, as more milk farms being created, milk has become much more available to people. In 2005, over 85% of Chinese consumers had tried drinking milk, so the market leader Mengniu( of the milk industry) changed its slogan from “one cup of milk a day” to “three cups.”  By 2010, Mengniu’s revenues had tripled to around $4.5 billion. This post gave me an idea how much the effects of the availability of products can affect consumers behaviour.

Word count:200

Response: Apple and the iPhone 4s

After reading Grace Kim’s postApple – Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S, there was a strong suggestion that the new iPhone 4s is a failure to apple and a disappointment to the public, I somewhat agree and disagree to that comment. Since Apple has been revolutionary in the IT technology, it is disappointing how they did not put effort in changing the physical shape of the iPhone. But they did expand tremendously in the field of voice control. Many phones have had that function for the past few years, but none of them were even close to Apple’s Siri. So I think that at least the idea of entering and expanding the field of voice control is commendable. It is not futuristic to imagine a phone that is intelligent enough to communicate with us in the next few years.

Not only that, I personally think that Apple might have purposely released iPhone4s with not many improvements to build up the huge surprise and gap between 4s and 5. It might be a marketing strategy, while earning the profits from the keen Apple fans who will buy the 4s anyways, then releasing the 5 to attract the current 4 holders and taking profits again. So in my opinion, the release of 4s is more of a disappointment but also a build up for iPhone 5.

Word count: 199

Apple – Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S

Response: Gradually Goodbye to DVD’s

After reading Joanna’s blog post: Gradually Goodbye to DVD’s, I agree that the DVD sales are plummeting and consumers are slowly straying away from purchasing discs. But the decision of Warner Bros’ and Sony implementing the new creation: the “digital locker” service to replace DVDs and to compete with the low priced Netflix  is not entirely a winning idea.

It is evident that there will be huge rivalry between the “digital locker” products and renting a movie. One which will be extremely cheap-renting, and one which is long lasting-digital locker. But have they considered the purpose of DVD? People now days can just download high quality movies straight off the internet without paying a single penny. Although pirating is “illegal”; However, it is not enforced at all. In my perspective, DVDs are bought for collection and for reminisce. If people can just get movies for free, why would people buy the “digital locker”? Therefore, I think that the “digital locker” should not replace DVDs, it will sacrifice the purpose of DVD for nothing.

Word count:170

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/as-dvd-sales-die-hollywood-puts-its-faith-in-the-cloud/article2196633/

The Next Black Friday

Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the US, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, businesses open very early and offers promotional sale. As people know, the US economy is still struggling, but this Black Friday may boost up the economy again.

According to a CNN/ORC International poll, 23% of americans say they plan to go shopping on Black Friday, higher that the past few years. Similarly, 37% say they plan to spend less on gifts this year than last year, compared to roughly half in 2009. These surveys suggest that people are going to purchase more than last year. Relating to the economy, the increased turnout could provide a much-needed boost to retailers looking to jumpstart sales in an otherwise weak economy. There will be a huge flow of cash, the revenues companies recieved may be used in investments, or hire the unemployed, and therefore boosting the economy again.

The only immediate side effects of this day is that, the tough economic times will still take a toll on holiday shoppers, where nearly half say that current economic conditions will make this holiday more stressful than the past years.

Word count : 193

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/25/news/economy/black_friday_poll/index.htm?source=cnn_bin