Revealed: Samsung Galaxy SⅣ

On March 14th, Samsung revealed its new Galaxy S4 at the Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

Its launching received heavy focus especially due to its fierce competition with Apple’s iPhone – but a post from brandchannel also points to its not-so-friendly competition with LG.

LG Ambushes Samsung as it Preps to Reveal Galaxy S4 – photo from brandchannel.com

LG hung its ad directly above Samsung’s with the same big fat “4.”
“The obvious implication is that you need to wait for the next Galaxy while the LG Optimus G is ready for the consumer right now.”

This post further discussed the features of the new smartphone and the plan for its release in stores. I decided to briefly depict on the Product strategy we’ve discussed in class.

Product:
Samsung has a wide variety of product mix from electronics to appliances, and smartphones is one of them. Within the mix is also a few product lines – like the Galaxy and the Note – which had line extensions Ⅰ-Ⅳ for the Galaxy and Ⅰ-Ⅱ for the Note.

While some people argue that smartphones are now in the Maturity stage  of the Product Life Cycle, I personally think that they are still in the Growth stage as the demand continues to rise and competition is more fierce than ever. It’s true that the phones do look somewhat similar to each other, but they still continuously make noticeable improvements.

As this video shows, the focus of smartphones is still on the product itself rather than just the brands as they introduce new features in every new launch. It’s not just Samsung, but with any other smartphone companies in the market, like Apple and LG. These dominating companies are so influential that they do significantly affect the cycle as well. These competitive companies also seek to add more value, associating it with their brand names.

Which Product Growth Strategy does it take? I might need to study a  bit more to be sure… 😛

1 Response to Revealed: Samsung Galaxy SⅣ

1. Wow! I can’t wait to get my Samsung Galaxy Phone! I think I will be most excited to see how the new camera feature works.