I want to be a marketer

The course is nearing the end — actually the term and my second year at Sauder is. I’ve written blog posts every two weeks on topics that were of my interest. I’ve blogged about a classmate’s post and also on an external blog. What now?
Well, I’ll take this opportunity to casually write about my interest in Marketing.

While we’re making decisions on our specializations in the upcoming summer, I am going to choose Accounting. But, I still love Marketing. Even if I don’t specialize in it, it’s always my next best option. Why?
I thoroughly enjoy every Marketing class, especially the short clips that we would watch each class. But that’s not the beginning of my story. I always had a little schema at the back of my head: “Business = Marketing.” Probably all due to the Korean dramas I would watch since I was very young, in which they feature careers and the “Marketing department” would be the most popular. I fell in love with the creativity and the passion shown through the “marketers” (or the actors). Marketing essentially connects everybody together. Consumers, brands, celebrities, companies, the economy, politicians – EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. That’s why I love it so much, it integrates the society. I really wish I could go into more depth on this, but due to limited word counts…

Marketing is a broader scope, but my true interests were the Promotions side, especially Advertising and Public Relations, with my two favourite C’s:

• Advertisement = Creativity
  • Public Relations = Communications

It interacts the company with the end-consumers as well as any channel partners, and I feel that it is the most supportive evidence and accurate definition of “business success.”
Aside fro mthat, I really enjoy topics that study “communications.” I took courses in Social Psychology and Culture & Communications Anthropology – it fascinates me to explore interactions from an academic perspective.

Casino advertisement, located in South Korea, featuring the famous Korean food Bibimbap.

So why Accounting? I’ll leave that for a separate blog post at some point in my life :). But my ideal job is a “PR Manager.”

I didn’t completely let go of “Marketing,” though! As a Sauder student, I market myself everyday to people, Clubs, recruiters, professors — basically everyone I interact with. It’s about how my image varies across people. It’s an essential part in genuinely constructing my image throughout my life as a “self-marketer.”

So I jumped from place to place… I hope I did at least a decent job in trying to “market” my wuv for Marketing :).

#endoftheyear #aboutme #market #myself