Unit Four Reflection Blog: Interactive Online Resumes

The Web Folio assignment has been incredibly useful in allowing me to realize all I’ve learned throughout this ENGL301 course. It’s almost like climbing a mountain and being able to finally look back at how far you’ve climbed, while also getting to enjoy the view at the top. The view, of course, is where I am able to look back on all of the works, reflections, and job application resources that I have completed over the semester. At the beginning of the course, I’ll admit that I didn’t know how much I would learn from a technical writing course — since I already work in industry, I thought I may already know most of it. It turns out, even three months later I see that there are still improvements to be made! I want to be committed to lifelong learning… no one ever knows everything and there is always room for improvement.

When designing the Web Folio, I wanted navigation to be simple and easy. Thus, I ensured the headers were large and descriptive, so that a future employer can easily navigate intuitively. A webpage that is informative and easy to use shows that I am detail-oriented, patient, and empathetic because I understand the importance of other people’s time. Further, this assignment taught me to conduct myself professionally and formally, unless both parties agree that casual communication is alright. In today’s world, we must keep in mind that the first impression is so vital. If there are no grammatical errors, a You-Attitude, a respectful tone, and great attention to detail, it will leave a fantastic impression on a potential future employer. This assignment has helped me realize the effort that must be put into the job hunt, and how continuous self and peer reviewing can greatly improve the final versions of resumes, cover letters, social media pages, and personal letters.

Lastly, my favourite aspect of the web folio is how it is personalized and that we have room to let our professional personalities shine through. I added an additional page that showcases a couple of personal software projects that I have completed, which is very applicable for my career aspirations in the software development industry. I know that it is a great personal detail to include that adds considerable value for parties interested in hiring me, as they will be able to assess my best software projects!